Tom Simpson wrote:
Sorry to bump a semi-old topic...
anybody had any luck getting the Eviews -> R link to work since RandFriends was removed? I tried doing the install process described here http://homepage.univie.ac.at/erich.neuw ... to_install
but it's clearly been a while since it was updated as it references 3.0.2... even changing around some things in their suggested .inf file (to match the 3.1.0 installation) didn't help.
this could be a real problem as i was kinda dependent on the eviews->r functionality on my old computer, now im reinstalling things etc on new laptop and its not working. help appreciated!
EDIT: using eviews 8
Hi Tom, sorry for the late reply...
I just downloaded the latest version of statconnDCOM (statconnDCOM3.6-0B1_Noncommercial.exe) and the latest version of R (R-3.1.0-win.exe), installed both on my Windows 8.1 machine, then started up EViews 8 32-bit and everything seemed to work just fine.
Here are some things to watch out for when trying to use R from EViews:
1. Currently, the statconnDCOM is only free to use with the 32-bit version of R (you have to pay for the 64-bit version). So unless you've already purchased this, I would stick with using 32-bit EViews and 32-bit R.
2. When you install R, make sure you have the 32-bit version. Also, during installation, R asks if you want to save the path and version information into the registry. You must select this option (by default it is). After installing, make sure R 32-bit runs without any problems.
3. Re-start R 32-bit with admin privileges (right click the R shortcut and click on "Run as administrator"). Now install the rscproxy
package manually. Look at page 166 (actual page 173) of our "EViews 8 Command Ref.pdf" document (should've been installed with your copy of EViews 8 ) and look for the section that says "Installing rscproxy and statconnDCOM" for more detailed instructions on how to do this.
4. Install statconnDCOM. Make sure the "Local Server Files" and the "Simple Server Test Files" options are selected during the install.
5. Now quit any running instance of R and EViews. Run the "Server 01 - Basis Test" program and click the R32 button to see if runs ok.
6. Assuming the test ran ok, you should now be able to run EViews, then type in XOPEN(r) to open a connection to R.