Optimal Settings for complex Calculations

For questions regarding programming in the EViews programming language.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Jason, EViews Moderator, EViews Matt

xorlosch

Optimal Settings for complex Calculations

Postby xorlosch » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:46 am

I'm currently running Eviews with the default settings. Unfortunately, it takes a lot of time to run complex programs on my dual core 2,2 GHZ with 2GB RAM. The task manager states that there are also only 50% of the CPU in use. Is there any possibility to optimize Eviews default settings for my machine?

startz
Non-normality and collinearity are NOT problems!

Re: Optimal Settings for complex Calculations

Postby startz » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:32 am

xorlosch wrote:I'm currently running Eviews with the default settings. Unfortunately, it takes a lot of time to run complex programs on my dual core 2,2 GHZ with 2GB RAM. The task manager states that there are also only 50% of the CPU in use. Is there any possibility to optimize Eviews default settings for my machine?

The 50% CPU probably indicates that one core is running EViews full out, while the other core is mostly idle. You might be able to get a small gain by starting two copies of EViews and running programs on each. Less than a doubling of speed, though.

xorlosch

Postby xorlosch » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:17 am

Concerning the CPU usage you are right. I think Eviews can not use both cores for its calculations. But can you somehow change the RAM size Eviews is using. This might speed things up a little, don't you think so?

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Postby EViews Gareth » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:15 am

In general EViews uses whatever RAM Windows gives it.

The only way, really, to speed up your calculations is to try and improve the efficiency of your programs themselves.
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

smr01

Postby smr01 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:50 pm

There is a lot of system junk running on core0 of most systems. Windows XP does not load balance well. Vista is better. Windows Server is awesome in this regard. There is a way to force EViews to run on core1 using the affinity setting in Windows XP/Vista/Server. The chances are that EViews will have core1 to itself. Tom's Hardware has a neat little program to do it automatically. Here is the article: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ban ... k,815.html . It might help.

Return to “Programming”