Markov Switching Models

For making suggestions and/or requests for new features you'd like added to EViews.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

fxms

Markov Switching Models

Postby fxms » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:02 am

Estimation of Markov Switching Models should be included in future releases of EViews.
fxms

trubador
Did you use forum search?

Re: Markov Switching Models

Postby trubador » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:15 pm

I strongly agree with that. Markov Switching Models have become the standard technique in most econometric researches.

closterm

Postby closterm » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:42 am

I also recommend to include markov switching procedures.

fmramos

Postby fmramos » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:41 am

I agree! Nowadays I use EViews to most of my problems, but old routines for OxMetrics to estimate MSM.

oek_stat

Postby oek_stat » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:01 am

Markov Switching is still missing. Am I right? Can anyone help me programming a rolling regression with a markov-switching vector error correction model. I don't want to wait for another period of 3 years.

Zeittriven

Postby Zeittriven » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:16 am

oek_stat wrote:Markov Switching is still missing. Am I right?

Looks like it. Maybe anyone more programming experience will help you. And i"d like to have a look too.

Gsm Repeater Is Useful Device For All Houses
Dropped calls. Gsm Repeater Is Safe For Our Health.
Last edited by Zeittriven on Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

vdaly@kingston.ac.uk

Postby vdaly@kingston.ac.uk » Fri May 25, 2012 4:25 am

Still looks like a good idea - anything on the way?

Dirk

Postby Dirk » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:50 am

In a paper on currency crises an IMF economist Abdul De Guia Abiad used a Markov Switching Model in Eviews. The author wrote a code for estimating such models. When I asked him, he was kind enough to give it to me. His contact details can be found on the IMF website.

JimForest

Postby JimForest » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:51 pm

There is also some markov switching model code in in a recent text by Carol Alexander. You can find code for this on the CD accompanying the following book (which I recommend btw):

Alexander, C. (2008) Market Risk Analysis, Volume II Practical Financial Econometrics, John Wiley and Sons Ltd.

I haven't looked at it in a while but I believe it is programmed using maximum likelihood. That might sound scary at first but I think EViews log likelihood object is fairly easy to learn by reading the example code. You just have to make sure you are specifying the liklihood function properly.

I programmed some basic deterministic regime switching GARCH models in EViews, but have not attempted markov switching models.

The EViews documentaion suggests, and I tend to agree, that the EViews State Space object can be used to facilitate the estimation of such models. That is one of those things on my list to try at some point but I haven't gotten there yet.

Note, I believe there are also Markov Switching implementations available in R. Therefore, it would be very easy to port between the two programs. Personally, I like to use R from EViews. You just send it the data you want it to analyze and specify what you want to be done (based on which functions you are running) and then just pull the data back into the friendly environment of EViews for further analysis.

If you have a recent version of EViews, the programming to make EViews talk to R is very easy. You can cut and paste and then adapt to your needs. I do this often with Matlab as well. But R is free and the statcomm program is also free. The setup is all in the documentation.

Return to “Suggestions and Requests”