Distribution display question

For requesting general information about EViews, sharing your own tips and tricks, and information on EViews training or guides.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

Tom Simpson

Distribution display question

Postby Tom Simpson » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:31 am

Hi all,

A small question re. presentation of histograms: I've a got a program auto generating many different distributions (6 displayed in xl file for example). I'm happy with most of the presentation however the small blue box in the legend is annoying as it is completely superfluous & looks unattractive. Is there a way to get rid of the little blue box without deleting the entire legend? If any body knows code commands that would be especially helpful but instructions for gui menu options would also be welcome. If I try and cut n paste the figure into word or xl and ungroup the metafile (so I can delete the small boxes) then the elements of the graphs become distorted and misaligned.

thankyou for your help!
Attachments
eviews forums.xls
(22.5 KiB) Downloaded 335 times
Last edited by Tom Simpson on Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

EViews Glenn
EViews Developer

Re: Distribution display question

Postby EViews Glenn » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:53 am

I'm not sure what you mean by little-blue-box. As graphs can have very different appearances depending on your graph settings, could you provide us with more detail on what you are seeing (a screenshot or frozen graph would be best, if possible)...

[edit: Gareth points out to me that there are graph copies in the excel file. I thought it was just the data. My comments below...]
Last edited by EViews Glenn on Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

EViews Glenn
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Glenn » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:03 am

The little blue boxes in question *are* the legend entries for each of the graphs. There is no way to display the legend without the boxes.

What I think you really want is a different display title for each graph. Probably the best way to do this is to *not* put a legend in the graph, and to add a text object to the graph with the desired text. You might want to experiment with using displaynames as well since your graph is for multiple series. it will be easier to put the text objects in the desired place for a single graph than one in which EViews produces a set of graphs. You could create a graph for each series with appropriate text placement and then combine the graphs in a larger one.

Tom Simpson

Postby Tom Simpson » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:35 am

Gotcha, I just replaced the .name(1) references with .addtext(b). I'd tried the addtext before but didn't realist you could shift the position of the text. Thanks for your help.

Return to “General Information and Tips and Tricks”