hard to reproduce bug

For notifying us of what you believe are bugs or errors in EViews.
Please ensure your copy of EViews is up-to-date before posting.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

startz
Non-normality and collinearity are NOT problems!

hard to reproduce bug

Postby startz » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:58 pm

I had been looking at some stats or a historgram or something in a panel data set, but had closed all windows except the workfile window. I then changed the sample such that all the remaining observations were from a single date and all equaled zero. When I double-clicked on the series I got the "zero variance" alert. After I picked the spreadsheet view everything was okay.

EViews Pamela
EViews Developer

Re: hard to reproduce bug

Postby EViews Pamela » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:23 am

I can't reproduce this ... let me know if you come up with any more info.

startz
Non-normality and collinearity are NOT problems!

Postby startz » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:01 pm

EViews Pamela wrote:I can't reproduce this ... let me know if you come up with any more info.

Well, the problem is probably that EViews likes you and doesn't like me. This favoritism has to stop :evil:

In fact, I've been able to reproduce it. First I did Histogram and stats. Then I closed the window. Then I reset the sample such that all observations in the sample equalled zero. When I reopen the series window I get the error message.

If you can't make this happen, I can ship you the file. But it's 10 MB.

EViews Pamela
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Pamela » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:46 pm

There are two different ways of getting a histogram in EViews: via the Histogram & Stats menu item, and by selecting the Histogram graph type in the main graph dialog. I was using the latter, which doesn't show the error. However, the first method requires that the variance be non-zero. So, I would suggest using the main graph dialog to get your histogram in this case. (Even though, unfortunately, you won't get the stats.)

Return to “Bug Reports”