Frequency conversion - misleading values

For notifying us of what you believe are bugs or errors in EViews.
Please ensure your copy of EViews is up-to-date before posting.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

wjgatt

Frequency conversion - misleading values

Postby wjgatt » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:50 am

Hi all,

I believe there's a bug in the lastest version (8) when it comes to converting data across different frequencies.

I have monthly data for some years up to April 2013, but when I convert the series to a quarterly average in a seperate page using the paste special function (average observations), I still get a value for 2013 Q2, despite not having values for May and June. If I remember well this did not happen in earlier releases. It is the same when trying to convert the same series to annual frequency in another page, I get the average for Jan-Apr in the figure for 2013 as a whole, which can be misleading.

Thanks
W

trubador
Did you use forum search?

Re: Frequency conversion - misleading values

Postby trubador » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:39 am

In such cases, you can tick the "No conversion of partial periods" under the options...

wjgatt

Postby wjgatt » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:52 pm

Thanks for your reply. I confirmed that it was also the same in previous releases.

In my opinion the default setting should be not to convert periods with partial information, with the option to allow the user to convert it anyway if he/she so requires. At least if one is taking sums or averaging, a period with incomplete data is not useful; I would say it introduces inconsistencies.

Cheers
W

EViews Glenn
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Glenn » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:38 am

I will point out that the default setting for NA propagation may be set in the global options (Options/General Options/Series and Alphas). Note that this default setting will only applied to series which have their conversion options set to the EViews default. Those which previously have been overridden will retain those overrides.

Return to “Bug Reports”