Applying wrong naming restrictions on databases

For notifying us of what you believe are bugs or errors in EViews.
Please ensure your copy of EViews is up-to-date before posting.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

paues

Applying wrong naming restrictions on databases

Postby paues » Fri May 18, 2012 3:48 am

I have an Aremos databank called imfig containing two quarterly series: dkim.q and 28im.q. I thought line 3 and 4 in the code below would be handled identically. But EViews seems to apply its own naming restrictions (specifically not allowing object names to begin with numbers) also on the Aremos database, which does not have the same restrictions, and thus returns an error on line 4.

Code: Select all

dbopen C:\Temp\ImFig.bnk
wfcreate q 1980 2011
series tmp1=dkim
series tmp2=28im

EViews Chris
EViews Developer

Re: Applying wrong naming restrictions on databases

Postby EViews Chris » Fri May 18, 2012 8:48 am

You're currently fetching the series by using the series in an expression and letting EViews automatically search through databases when it can't already find a series with that name in the workfile. This approach does seem to come up against EViews name restrictions.

If you explicitly fetch the series from the database, you should be able to get around this restriction. For the particular example you sent, you should just be able to change to using the copy command:

wfcreate q 1980 2011
copy ::dkim tmp1
copy ::28im tmp2

The fetch command could also be used

wfcreate q 1980 2011
fetch dkim 28im

in which case EViews would automatically make up a legal EViews name ("_28im" in your example).

paues

Re: Applying wrong naming restrictions on databases

Postby paues » Mon May 21, 2012 12:36 am

Thank you. However, I already know how to fetch the series. I was merely notifying you that this approach, as you said, "come[s] up against EViews name restrictions". IMHO, it should not which is why I posted in "Bug Reports".

And please allow me to excuse myself. I see now that I did not pay enough attention writing my code. What I intended to write was:

wfcreate q 1980 2011
series tmp1=::imfig::dkim
series tmp2=::imfig::28im

Return to “Bug Reports”