Settings aren't stored

For notifying us of what you believe are bugs or errors in EViews.
Please ensure your copy of EViews is up-to-date before posting.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

lgehrig

Settings aren't stored

Postby lgehrig » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:27 am

Hello EViews-experts

A month ago, my EViews distributions (9.5 and 10) were struck with Amnesia. They don't recall settings when I open them again (except for file locations paths including the database registry, which are remembered).

So, I get prompted with the startup message every time, snapshots are always activated, fonts are reset to black, proxy settings are forgotten etc...

This is already strange, but things get really weird if I then enter "General Options" and hit "Cancel" to close the window. This leads to new settings to be loaded (however, not the ones I set before).

Is there an easy fix to this that does not involve deleting my .ini ?

Thanks in advance for your input

PS: all the latest patches are installed (including the 22.08.2018 one)

EViews Steve
EViews Developer

Re: Settings aren't stored

Postby EViews Steve » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:44 am

On networks where EViews is actually running on a remote server (e.g. the cloud) or is running inside a VM environment of any kind, it's possible that your user-specific INI file is getting lost, perhaps once a day or even upon each restart of EViews. In situations like this, you'll have to discuss the preservation of your EViews32.ini file with whomever is in charge of your EViews distribution and setup. If EViews can't write to the INI file or if the file is reset/deleted between launches, then EViews will not be able to remember many of your settings/preferences.

To verify this problem, I would first locate your current EViews32.ini file to verify the file exists and that you have permissions to edit the file. To find this file, launch EViews and go to General Options/File locations and look for the INI file path textbox. Go to that specified folder by clicking the folder icon next to it and verify you can see an EViews32.ini file there. By default, this location is usually in the following path:

Code: Select all

%APPDATA%\IHS EViews\EViews

where %APPDATA% is your normal Windows location for the AppData folder, which usually translates to:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\IHS EViews\EViews

where <username> is your actual Windows User ID. Note: If you have ever used EViews 7 (or older) on the same machine, then it's possible this path is different on your machine. In those cases, your INI file would be located under our old company name:

%APPDATA%\Quantitative Micro Software\EViews

Next, quit EViews (if it is still running), then verify the INI folder still exists and the EViews32.ini file is still there.

If so, then open the EViews32.ini file using Notepad and search for the Startup Page= line under the [Options] section. If you don't see this line, create it directly under [Options] section header line. Set this value to 0 (e.g. Startup Page=0) to turn off the startup dialog upon startup. Save your changes and then re-open the file to verify your changes were actually saved. Your changes should look something like this:
startup_page_setting.png
startup_page_setting.png (3.03 KiB) Viewed 4063 times

Now, try launching EViews again. If your changes were preserved, then EViews should now launch without showing this Startup dialog:
startup.png
startup.png (166.27 KiB) Viewed 4063 times

If you see this dialog, then something outside of EViews has changed or reverted your EViews32.ini file when you launched EViews. Leaving EViews running, re-open the INI file in Notepad and verify that the file has been reverted and your changes have been lost. If your changes only get lost once a day, you may have to wait until tomorrow in order to verify this.

With this verification and the location of your EViews32.ini file in your EViews distribution, this should be enough information for your EViews admin to change your EViews distribution to prevent this overwrite/deletion.

Steve

lgehrig

Re: Settings aren't stored

Postby lgehrig » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:22 am

Thanks a lot Steve

It turned out the folder which held my .ini files was corrupted and could not be edited in any way / pretended to exist but didnt exist.

Return to “Bug Reports”