Google Docs - will not fetch the correct file

For notifying us of what you believe are bugs or errors in EViews.
Please ensure your copy of EViews is up-to-date before posting.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

tvonbrasch

Google Docs - will not fetch the correct file

Postby tvonbrasch » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:05 am

Hi

I now post this as a bug since there is obviously something wrong with how EViews connects to Google Drive. It can take from a couple of seconds to more than a minute before EViews fetches the correct version of a file saved at Google Drive, see also viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15360&start=15

Note that an alternative is to fetch google docs directly using the wget command (see also forum post above),

Code: Select all

wget https://docs.google.com/document/d/FILE ID/export?format=txt -OutFile
However, this requires that the file is open to everyone with the FILE ID. To use a google doc that is private one must use the cloud management tool provided in EViews, but for this to function properly, EViews must be able to download the last saved version of the file, not an old version, which it is currently doing. Can you please fix this?
Thomas

EViews Katerina

Re: Google Docs - will not fetch the correct file

Postby EViews Katerina » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:24 am

Hi Thomas,
We are looking into the problem with Google Drive (EViews not fetching the last version of the file).

When you make changes on your program file with Google Docs please check if in the Google Drive to see if the
timestamp in the Last modified column is updated every time you make a change.

Katerina

tvonbrasch

Postby tvonbrasch » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:28 pm

Hi Katerina!

That is great news, thanks.

I am not sure what you mean by timestamp, but I made a change at 20.19. this was saved in google docs (see picture below). When i ran the file from EViews, it used an old version of the file. I ran the program several times, and it was not until 20.23 (i.e. four minutes after I had made the change) that EViews downloaded the correct version. When I use the code based on the wget command, it fetches the correct version immediately.

Thanks for looking into this !
Thomas

timestamp.PNG
timestamp.PNG (24.63 KiB) Viewed 5750 times

EViews Katerina

Postby EViews Katerina » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:13 pm

Hi Thomas,

We did a lot of testing with Google Drive to find out why it takes EViewss 3 or more mins to update a file. We found out that Google Drive does not update the file metadata as soon as there is a change (it takes more than 3 mins) and as a result when EViews checks the metadata does not find that the file is different.

The last patch of EViews (August 22 2018 build) has a fix/workaround for this Google Drive issue. In the Cloud Management -> Add New Location we added a flag 'Use Local Cache'. The default behavior is Use local Cache On (Checked). Add a new Google Drive location and turn the flag Off (Uncheck Use Local Cache). By doing that EViews will ignore the metadata and always download the file. You should see the last change with no delay.

Katerina

tvonbrasch

Postby tvonbrasch » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:13 am

That is great news, thanks!
Thomas

Return to “Bug Reports”