Importing CSV File Error

For notifying us of what you believe are bugs or errors in EViews.
Please ensure your copy of EViews is up-to-date before posting.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

sonpy

Importing CSV File Error

Postby sonpy » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:10 am

Hello,

I got a Problem since EViews was updated from Version 8 to version 9.5 at my University.
Before EViews was updated I got no Problems importing data from oecd.org in form of .csv files.
Since version 9.5 I always get the Error Message: File uses an unsopported text format.
The old workfiles where I already imported the data are still working but I always get this Error Message since the update whenever I want to import data from oecd.org since the update and only with data from oecd.org.
R Studio has no problems importing these data files.

I would be very happy if someone would be able to help me!

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Re: Importing CSV File Error

Postby EViews Gareth » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:46 am

Could you provide an example of such a file, and provide details on how you're bringing them into EViews?
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

sonpy

Postby sonpy » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:03 am

I attched an example file.
I always imported data through: File -> Import -> Import from file...

Thanks in advance for your help!
Attachments
ewu 19.csv
(3.77 KiB) Downloaded 347 times

sonpy

Postby sonpy » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:03 am

Any ideas?

EViews Steve
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Steve » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:02 am

sonpy:

Thanks for the example file.

EViews will normally support a text file encoded as "UTF-8", but this particular file is encoded as "UTF-8 BOM" where BOM means a Byte Order Mark of 3 bytes at the beginning of the file. Older versions of EViews didn't know about "UTF-8 BOM" and tried to treat the file as plain UTF-8. This resulted in the first 3 bytes of the first text line showing strange characters due the BOM header (if you try to import this file in an older version of EViews and have it display the first line of text in the import wizard, you'll see the strange characters).

We recently added code into EViews 9 to check for "UTF-8 BOM" encodings and to error on this result. We can look into possibly supporting this encoding in the near future, but for now you'll have to change the encoding back to UTF-8 or ASCII. To do that, you can simply open the file in Excel, then do a Save As, and select the "Save as type" to be "CSV (Comma delimited)(*.csv)" instead of "Unicode Text (*.txt)". Or you can save the file as an Excel file type and then import that as well.

Steve

sonpy

Postby sonpy » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:25 am

Thank you very much!

Return to “Bug Reports”