Eviews is buggy software

For notifying us of what you believe are bugs or errors in EViews.
Please ensure your copy of EViews is up-to-date before posting.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

econochoice

Eviews is buggy software

Postby econochoice » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:45 am

I have tried Eviews 9 on someone's PC. While doing ARDL you try clicking on "Representations" and the software would stop working asking for a restart. Then on changing the model selection criteria it again stops saying Eviews 9 has stopped working. I was planning to buy a student version but now double minded.Plus they say there will be no customer support with the Student version.So the bugs would all be mine. Any comments ?

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Re: Eviews is buggy software

Postby EViews Gareth » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:47 am

Make sure the copy you are running is up to date (which it would be if you purchase and download/install).
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

econochoice

Postby econochoice » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:32 am

EViews Gareth wrote:Make sure the copy you are running is up to date (which it would be if you purchase and download/install).

OK.The person had used the patch to make t 9.5. Its too buggy, repeatedly stops responding at exactly the same points of command/test selection.Anyway. If I purchase the student version (without customer support as mentioned on the website) and that too turns out to be buggy, what do you suggest ? should I download the demo version and see if its not buggy?

startz
Non-normality and collinearity are NOT problems!

Postby startz » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:01 am

Like all software, EViews has an occasional bug. Unlike much software, bugs are rare and are quickly patched with free updates. If you think you are seeing bugs, you should post exactly what happened (commands, workfile) so the EViews folks can offer a solution.

econochoice

Postby econochoice » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:26 am

Downloaded the student version Light even that is buggy.Now what ?

econochoice

Postby econochoice » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:35 am

I did exactly that in my first message. Provided details of where it stopped.
I am using ARDL with the following model
LOG_PROD_COTTON LOG_PRICE_RICE LOG_PRICE_UREA LOG_PRICE_SCANE LOG_PRICE_WHEAT

The moment I change the Model selection criteria from Akike to Schwarn, Error window appears starts collecting information with progress bass moving and says "Eviews 9.5 has stopped working" . In many models reducing the number of lags to "2" causing similar shut down error.

I am using Windows 8.1 and 4Gb RAM.

Hope that helps

startz

Postby startz » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:44 am

If you could also post your workfile, that would let the EViews people try to replicate what you've done. They'll also want to know the build date of your version (Help/About).

econochoice

Postby econochoice » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:26 am

I was actually expecting this response from the Eviews team. " Eviews 9.5 has stopped working" is a regular error. Now it appears more often. I enter an additional variable (less than seven variables) and the error appears, I remove d (for difference) from the equation and the error reappears. I love Eviews but had to use this 9 and 9.5 versions for ARDL only and I am stuck. I restart Eviews ever few minutes.Still working on it.

startz

Postby startz » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:38 am

In principle, you should never see "EViews has stopped working." But if you want the EViews folks to track down the error, you need to provide sufficient information. Post the version and build date of your copy of EViews. Post your workfile including the equation you are trying to estimate. And exact instructions to make the crash happen.

Return to “Bug Reports”