Proposal for Hot Key

For making suggestions and/or requests for new features you'd like added to EViews.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

farrel

Proposal for Hot Key

Postby farrel » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:52 am

Dear Developers,

(I refer to Eviews 7)

Proposal: I would like to encourage you once again to think about hot key for action "estimate" (equations and VARs) and for action "Solve" (model objects). I believe the button F12 would fit the best. I checked - it's free at the moment in both Eviews 7 and 8 (or F3 as was proposed before).

Motivation: I just recently worked on thousands of ARIMA models + explanatory variables searching for Ad Hoc best specifications and found that we urgently need to speed up the process by accessing function "estimate" bit faster. Furthermore, opening estimate window it would be great to have ESC (Escape) button acting as dismissing or canceling "Estimate" window, meaning going back to Stats window.

Moreover: When equation window is opened and active, it's not straightforward to reach "Proc" button (and subsequently Specify/Estimate) as we would suppose to reach it by pressing ALT + P, because it leads to "Options". I didn't find fast hot key to "Proc" menu (also in Eviews 8 ). This is additional motivation to develop F12 as quick reference to "Estimate" menu window.

Thank you
Andrei

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Re: Proposal for Hot Key

Postby EViews Gareth » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:03 am

Yep, we'll contemplate it.

Although I'll point out that you don't need to use the Proc menu if you just want to re-estimate and equation. Hit the estimate button. Also, if you're dealing with thousands of equations, you're probably better off writing a program!
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

farrel

Postby farrel » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:55 am

Of course, currently we hit Estimate button, but idea was to access Estimate button quickly using keyboard.
The issue about Proc menu is that if someone is keyboard freak and stubbornly wants to use hot key :) , so then it nearly impossible to access Proc menu (I mean that, i.e. if you need to reach Help meny button just press ALT+H and you are there, but this is not a case for Proc menu, let say ALT+P conflicts with Options menu)

Andrei

EViews Jason
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Jason » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:29 pm

The next patch for EViews 8 will have Alt+P display the Proc menu and Alt+T display the Options menu.

F12 will bring up the Estimate dialog for equations, the Solve dialog for Models, the Graph Options dialog for Graphs.

farrel

Postby farrel » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:14 am

Magnificient!
Thank you.

Andrei.

Return to “Suggestions and Requests”