Storing sequence of equations for viewing

For making suggestions and/or requests for new features you'd like added to EViews.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

mikeyap

Storing sequence of equations for viewing

Postby mikeyap » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:52 am

Can this be incorporated into EViews? -- when you do an estimation, the results appear. Then you may try another estimation and the new results appear ... and so on. But you lose the previous results unless you save it. Can it be done so that you get to view previous estimations and compare?

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Re: Storing sequence of equations for viewing

Postby EViews Gareth » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:06 am

Not sure I quite follow this suggestion.

The point of EViews is that nothing disappears unless you tell it to. Once you estimate an equation, that estimation is there until you either delete it or close the workfile (without saving).
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

startz
Non-normality and collinearity are NOT problems!

Postby startz » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:12 am

mikeyap wrote:Can this be incorporated into EViews? -- when you do an estimation, the results appear. Then you may try another estimation and the new results appear ... and so on. But you lose the previous results unless you save it. Can it be done so that you get to view previous estimations and compare?

You may want to look under options and adjust the behavior of untitled equations. That way nothing will disappear without your being given a chance to name it.

mikeyap

Postby mikeyap » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:28 am

startz wrote:
mikeyap wrote:Can this be incorporated into EViews? -- when you do an estimation, the results appear. Then you may try another estimation and the new results appear ... and so on. But you lose the previous results unless you save it. Can it be done so that you get to view previous estimations and compare?

You may want to look under options and adjust the behavior of untitled equations. That way nothing will disappear without your being given a chance to name it.

Thanks. Yes, that can be done. But I thought it would be useful if the sequence of equations can appear in one window so that you can see the progression. I think the previous answer didn't quite get my point. It is quite a hassle to name all those equations and after a while, you tend to lose track of the sequence, especially if you are estimating more than one equation in a workfile.

startz
Non-normality and collinearity are NOT problems!

Postby startz » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:34 am

mikeyap wrote:
startz wrote:

Thanks. Yes, that can be done. But I thought it would be useful if the sequence of equations can appear in one window so that you can see the progression. I think the previous answer didn't quite get my point. It is quite a hassle to name all those equations and after a while, you tend to lose track of the sequence, especially if you are estimating more than one equation in a workfile.

Another approach which get's you part of what you want is to send the results to a spool object as you go.

EViews Gareth

Postby EViews Gareth » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:43 am

I guess it sounds like when you're estimating multiple equations, you're simply using the same equation over and over, which is probably not the best way to go. If you use different equations, then they will all exist. You don't have to name them, if you enable multiple unnamed equations, as Startz suggested.

mikeyap

Postby mikeyap » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:09 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I know untitled equations can be used and I have done that before. What I am saying is that, from a user's perspective, it would be good to have one window containing the sequence of equations which I can then easily save. E.g. when you do a "general-to-specific" model reduction and want to trace the sequence. The single window may even have diagnostics results of the process.

EViews Gareth

Postby EViews Gareth » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:47 pm

A sequential/procedural log doesn't really work in a program like EViews, since it isn't a procedural program, as, say, SAS or Stata are.

I guess the closest thing we would have would be, as startz suggested, the spool object. Just print each estimation you do to a spool.

mikeyap

Postby mikeyap » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:07 pm

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, I can try a spool but perhaps the easiest (most convenient) thing to do is to have a Word file open and just copy and paste what is needed as I go along with the equations.

mikeyap

Postby mikeyap » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:05 am

Actually, just to share, I'm now using the spool option and it's quite convenient. :mrgreen:

EViews Gareth

Postby EViews Gareth » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:25 am

Great.

I think, perhaps, it is one of the most under-used objects in EViews 6.

Return to “Suggestions and Requests”