One license - two installations ?

For making suggestions and/or requests for new features you'd like added to EViews.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

cap

One license - two installations ?

Postby cap » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:26 pm

Here is a neat idea that I just recently heard SAS was offering its users ... for each license given to some company, another copy of the software is allowed to be installed on a home computer. This would be pretty helpful for those people who would like to use the software and get some work done on both on their work computer and home computer...

samijo

Re: One license - two installations ?

Postby samijo » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:11 am

You can do that with EViews at least on two computer from my experience, a friend told me it's up to three computers!

fmramos

Postby fmramos » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:10 am

Is this really true? I have 2 licensed EV in my work (I use the 6th version and my colleague, one of the 5th). It'd be wonderful if it's allowed to have them used at home too.

cap

Postby cap » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:13 am

I just asked the IT people at my company, and they say its not available. In fact, we already have some people using Eviews on two computers where a separate license is bought for each.

For the record, the info for the SAS program can be found here: http://www.sas.com/images/partners/home ... eement.pdf

and here is the advertisement email I got:

------------------------------------------------
Use SAS® software at work?
Now, you can use it at home, too.

Good news! You can now use SAS software on your home personal computer or laptop for business purposes -- at no additional charge.

SAS for Home Use
SAS wants to make sure it's as convenient as possible for you to use our software, whether you're working in the office or from home. That's why we're announcing the SAS for Home Use Program.

Under this program, for each "PC Use" license held, you can make one copy of the software for an employee to use at home on his or her personal computer or laptop.

Program overview:
SAS Home Use software is for business purposes only.
Software must be installed on an employee-owned personal computer or laptop.
Home Use is only available for PC licenses.
The operating system for Home Use must mirror the operating system customer license.
Home Use copies may not exceed the number of licensed PC Use copies.
Home Use copies are not subject to additional fees.
Benefits
Gain 24-hour access to SAS software.
Use SAS in a variety of work environments.
Combine convenience and productivity.

SAS for Home Use

Questions?
For more information about
how to take advantage of this
program, please contact:

John McGowan at John.McGowan@sas.com
or 312-240-0083, ext. 8929

Tim Pierce at Tim.Pierce@sas.com
or 919-531-1464

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Postby EViews Gareth » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:29 am

A Single Copy license of EViews (those who have a serial number starting with 60A [or 50A for EViews 5]) may be installed on one computer and used by one or more people. Or it can be installed on (up to) three computers, but only used by one person.

Thus if your company has purchase a single copy license for you, and you are the only person who uses that single copy, then it can be installed on up to three computers, including any computers you have at home.

This has been the case for a number of years now (certainly going back to the introduction of EViews 5, if not before).

Obviously the fact that the EViews Single Copy license lets you do this, doesn't mean that you can persuade your IT department let you do it.

If you have a site license for EViews (generally any non-student serial number that is not of the 60A form), then you'll have to consult your site license agreement.
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

cap

Postby cap » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:26 am

Ok, thanks for the clarification. I guess I can re-phrase my original request more specifically now - could site license copies of Eviews be granted the same "up to 3 computers" benefit as a single copy licenses?

EViews Gareth

Postby EViews Gareth » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:39 am

That wouldn't really make sense. A basic site license, in general, is just a license letting you install X copies of EViews. If we let you install 3 per X, then we've just reduced the price of a site license by 2/3.

fmramos

Postby fmramos » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:54 am

This is pretty good news, Gareth. In fact, I used to work at the office during weekends only cause I don't have EV at home. And, unfortunately, our IT guy knows a lot about network, installations etc, but a little about thinks like specific packages. In fact our team of economics only allow him to buy the software and we thought that me (with a EV 60A) and my colleague (with EV 50A) could use the software individually (that's already known, of course) and in only one machine (this we haven't known - now, I got from your message, that I can install it at my home PC).

Tks a lot!

startz
Non-normality and collinearity are NOT problems!

Postby startz » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:02 am

cap wrote:Ok, thanks for the clarification. I guess I can re-phrase my original request more specifically now - could site license copies of Eviews be granted the same "up to 3 computers" benefit as a single copy licenses?

If you have a site license that permits "concurrent use," you may be able to use one of the licenses on a home machine if you have access to the license server over a VPN.

EViews Gareth

Postby EViews Gareth » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:03 am

I was about to post exactly what Startz said, although I will point out that you don't necessarily need a VPN.

cap

Postby cap » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:12 am

Hmm, ok, I see what you mean Gareth. But, perhaps, is there a way to distinguish between one installation on a computer at the company's site, versus a bonus installation on an employee's home computer? If I use Eviews at home, that does not compete or draw down any demand for still having X licenses at my company's physical location...

I will also look into the "concurrent use" ability, thanks startz.

Return to “Suggestions and Requests”