New Objects and Workfile Upgrades

For making suggestions and/or requests for new features you'd like added to EViews.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

ChrisFM

New Objects and Workfile Upgrades

Postby ChrisFM » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:01 pm

Having used Eviews for a while, I really like the new workfile with a "multipage" concept. However, I'd like to also suggest a number of new ideas to improve/upgrade the workfile:

1. Allow cross-referencing of objects across pages. I don't understand why I can pull objects "on the fly" from a database stored to a disk, but not from a series on another page. I have to copy the object to the active page and then manipulate it from there. Boo.

2. SCRIPT Object type
(** ANTI-FLAME Notice: If you believe in strict data/code divisions, please read no further... **)
I find it very common that I have a program file that operates on ONLY one workfile, and even on only one page within that file. Why not create a new object -- a SCRIPT object -- that is identical to a "program" file (.prg).

However, the kicker is that the code is stored within the WORKFILE. That way, you can keep the code with the data you are working on. If you ever need to export the code, you could, but then you wouldn't have a proliferation of program files and workfiles.

Right now, I am achieving the same thing with a TEXT object, and then I copy/paste between a program window and the TEXT object. Better to do it all in one go.

Return to “Suggestions and Requests”