Eviews wishlist

For making suggestions and/or requests for new features you'd like added to EViews.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

javiersan

Eviews wishlist

Postby javiersan » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:26 am

Hello,

The suite of string functions in EV7 vs EV6 improvement was just fantastic and I'm sure you have a few other tricks under your sleeve for EV8 but I have listed below my wish list of the features I would love to see in a new version. I know, it's not Chritmas yet...

Charting
ability to show charts with double time axis (see post: http://forums.eviews.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3616 at the bottom)
chart-type with bottom axis [t-12 to t+12] for multiple series (see same post and Gareth’s solution);
addtext to allow vertical text and justification;
combination of charts: stacked bars + lines, multiple fitted lines in scatters, etc.
Allow labels in bottom axis to be aligned vertically (or in other directions);
Allow to retrieve the characteristics of charts, such as axis scale (min/max, step), date ranges, size (in virtual inches for example), etc. something like: !min=mychart.@leftaxismin
Allow addtext to include carriage return (ASCII 13 or equivalent) and to justify text
Allow addtext to position text using axis coordinates (i.e. not virtual inches) such as mygraph.addtext("2008q3",-0.15) Trough in GDP
Graph shading via criterion, such as if X>0, where X is the X axis variable.

Databases
Ability to query series from a database without having to fetch it (e.g. what is the start/end date, native frequency, etc.) something like: %freq=mydb::myseries.@frequency
Ability to incorporate notes to databases (like long descriptions, etc.)

File opening
Ability to read XML files and html/csv/xls files “behind” .asp type of webpages (e.g. http://forums.eviews.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3555)

Econometric techniques
Incorporate the Pooled Mean Group estimator and Westerlund's panel cointegration tests;

Program editor
Add code line numbering;
VB for excel capabiities: ability to pause and resume code, ability to run part of code, track variables values,

Functions
Inclusion of financial formulas in particular IRR and NPV based on cash-flows defined in a series and with calculations at a given date (e.g. if the cash-flows of an investment are defined in series CF the formula form could be IRR(CF,”1990m1”,-10) where -10 is the initial investment, and NPV(CF,”1990m1”,0.1) where 0.1 is the discount rate p.a.)
Last edited by javiersan on Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Re: Eviews wishlist

Postby EViews Gareth » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:39 am

Nice list. Some of them are already in the works.
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

javiersan

Postby javiersan » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:33 am

A few more...

It could be great if there was a command that closed all the non-workfile "windows" (graphs, series spreadsheets, groups, equations, etc.) and another command that closed all the workfiles (and opened databases).

As well, for those of us that store all databases in the same folder, could it be possible to add a "default database folder"? There is no discussion of that on http://www.eviews.com/download/whitepapers/Paths.pdf.

EViews Gareth

Postby EViews Gareth » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:56 am

Code: Select all

close @all
close @objects

Sort of do what you want (first closes everything, second closes only objects).

javiersan

Postby javiersan » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:11 am

Any way to close the workfiles & objects but not the programs? close @all closes the program(s) as well.

EViews Gareth

Postby EViews Gareth » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:17 am

Not currently, but I can add it to the suggestions list. Something along the lines of

close @wf
close @db
close @prog

EViews Gareth

Postby EViews Gareth » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:27 am

One more from your original list - you can use "\n" to add a carriage return in the addtext command.

Something like:

graph.addtext "hello\nworld"

javiersan

Postby javiersan » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:45 pm

Brilliant.

I tried to use it in the context of an alpha series that would be used to label the axis (see your last comment on http://forums.eviews.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3616) but it doesn't do the trick.

EViews Gareth

Postby EViews Gareth » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:51 pm

No, :(

javiersan

Postby javiersan » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:28 am

To add to the list above, would it be possible to allow for saving tables as image files (wmf/emf and the like)?

Thanks,

Javier

memos

Postby memos » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:06 am

Has the ability to retrieve the characteristics of charts, such as axis range, etc., been incorporated into Eviews 8? This would be a useful feature to have.

EViews Gareth

Postby EViews Gareth » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:15 am

No :(

Return to “Suggestions and Requests”