Year-to-date function

For making suggestions and/or requests for new features you'd like added to EViews.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

Tatha

Year-to-date function

Postby Tatha » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:57 am

Just been playing around with EV7 for the first time. A bit disappointed that none of my feature requests made it into the release, especially freehand graph annotation. Anyway, I would still keep pushing for some additions, in case they could be added to subsequent updates. For me, the key one remains: a year-to-date % chg. formula in dated data tables; at present if one chooses 1 yr % chg., EViews averages all months of a previous year, then whatever months are available for the current year, then calculates % chg. -- would be great if it calculated 'year-to-date' (i.e. average only those months of the prev yr. that have data in the current yr.).

Pls see if this can be added in a future release.

Thanks in advance,
Tatha

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Re: Year-to-date function

Postby EViews Gareth » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:05 am

We're hopeful that dated data tables will get a complete overhaul for the next big version of EViews.

Also, it isn't quite true that "none" of your requests were added to EViews 7. Looking through that list, quite a few of them were implemented, notably live/updating graphs...
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

Tatha

Postby Tatha » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:12 am

Thanks Gareth. Yes, I didn’t intend to exaggerate any aspect. Live graphs are great. Thanks for their inclusion. I didn’t count that initially because it was an overwhelming request already and had been confirmed to be in EV7 before I put up the list. And, with live graphs, obviously the other old quirks such as legend updates overriding manually entered legends etc. are all irrelevant. So, that’s great. Just curious: dated data tables are great – why do they need an overhaul?

Tatha

Tatha

Postby Tatha » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:42 am

Sorry, just creating some graphs -- notice that tick marks inside are still hidden by graph elements. But, for annotated lines, the 'draw on top' option works.

Tatha

Live graph

Postby Tatha » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:19 am

On the context of live graphs, it would be v useful if the smpl range used for the update could 'auto increment' by 1 when 1 new data point arrive within the graph. In other words, the end of the smpl would then be 'relative' to the last observation in the series being plotted. Cheers

eviewsthoughts

Postby eviewsthoughts » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:10 pm

Please include a function that provides year-to-date values of time series.
e.g. @ytdave() that would average the months of the year so far
and @ytdsum() that would sum the months of the year so far

thank you!!

eviewsthoughts

Postby eviewsthoughts » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:44 am

In the meantime, can someone suggest how to automate a year-to-date per cent change calculation?

How to average of months so far this year? (probably an easy step)
How to average the months to this point last year? (seems to me to be the difficult part)
Then calculating the per cent change between...

might the best approach involve using an annual page that is linked to a monthly page? or is the best approach to create a ytd series within in a monthly page?

thanks

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Postby EViews Gareth » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:59 am

This calculate a ytd sum:

Code: Select all

series ytd = @recode(@trend>0,@recode(@month>@month(-1), ytd(-1)+y, y),y)

You can divide by @month to get an average.
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

Return to “Suggestions and Requests”