Validity of EViews outputs

For requesting general information about EViews, sharing your own tips and tricks, and information on EViews training or guides.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

sidddigobaid

Validity of EViews outputs

Postby sidddigobaid » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:22 am

Hi there
I'm planning to use EViews on my dissertation, but my supervisor has raised a question that I couldn't find an answer to it. The question is that "how do you validate the outputs of model when using EViews software?" In other words, how do I prove that the coefficients I got as result of running the VAR model are correct?" I told him this econometric model is widely used by researchers in general and economists in particular, but he still need me to prove the outputs are validated.
I appreciate your help on this matter!

legitlicence

Re: Validity of EViews outputs

Postby legitlicence » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:10 pm

Run a couple of examples in other software and compare. Your uni must have some stats software, also spreadsheets do regression and then there is free software for econometrics and free general maths matrix programming in scilab, you can probably get a smart phone app or calculator. Doing all your econometrics in a matrix environment or spreadsheet is doable if you're handling a small amount of series and relationships or are a coding wiz. You need to narrow down his objections to specific areas and get to a reasonable compromise for your project. A blanket objection to eviews is simply misguided.

I just finished something in which I must have done unit root tests for at least 60 series, running 9 ADFs for each and then other tests where necessary would have been a nightmare without a user friendly interface.

Return to “General Information and Tips and Tricks”