New User, some basic help to get started

For requesting general information about EViews, sharing your own tips and tricks, and information on EViews training or guides.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

Josh

New User, some basic help to get started

Postby Josh » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:11 am

Hi, I've just using eviews for some work I have been given by my university. I've used other statitics software but finding this one has a steep learning curve and so any help will be greatly appreciated. Just two things to get me started, I have a workfile which includes spreadsheet of people per household for 9000 households. How do I check how many there are for a specific number, e.g. How many households contain 1 person. Also how do I run a basic OLS regression?

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Re: New User, some basic help to get started

Postby EViews Gareth » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:14 am

You might like to read through EViews Illustrated, the first three chapters of which are available online:
http://eviews.com/illustrated/illustrated.html
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

EViews Glenn
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Glenn » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:31 am

To answer your first question, open the series containing the number of people variable. Go to the View menu and select One Way Tabulation. I would probably uncheck the grouping boxes on the right-hand side. Click on OK.

The second is described both in the Illustrated chapters and in the Demo chapter in the manual.

Josh

Postby Josh » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:11 pm

Worked, Thanks for the help

Editizites

Postby Editizites » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:27 pm

This is my first time using eviews. I am a 4th year undergraduate economics student in Nigeria. Without any training, we were expected to run regressions in our econometrics course with Eview and Sata. The lecturer just came back from Europe, and didnt even care if we understood. Although I have passed the course with a poor grade, I really want to learn it. I want to teach my collegues and also introduce it and demonstrate it in other economics depts in Nigerian universities because they havent even heard about it. Please how do i buy it, how do i get the training from A to Z? Are there books that teach eviews? I really need to get myself and my people aquinted with this software. It is a great tool in the hands of any economist. Joshua Ike.

startz
Non-normality and collinearity are NOT problems!

Postby startz » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:23 am

You might start with the free chapters from EViews Illustrated at http://www.eviews.com/illustrated/illustrated.html
Last edited by startz on Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Editizites

Postby Editizites » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:26 pm

Okay. Thanks

Return to “General Information and Tips and Tricks”