Display without map

For requesting general information about EViews, sharing your own tips and tricks, and information on EViews training or guides.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

startz
Non-normality and collinearity are NOT problems!

Display without map

Postby startz » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:28 am

I'm sure I've just forgotten something obvious, but is there a way to display the underlying data for a mapped series without removing the map?

EViews Glenn
EViews Developer

Re: Display without map

Postby EViews Glenn » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:48 pm

There's a combo on the series toolbar. Change from Default to Raw Data,

startz

Postby startz » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:31 pm

I probably knew that, or at least should have :lol:

To add to the "it would be nice list," how about a display option that shows both the map and the raw data. I'm regularly trying to remember things like GESTCEN=91 for Washington State. To figure that out now you have to open the series, choose properties to get the Valmap, open the valmap and look through it. (I guess one could also use @unmap, but that's a bit of a pain.)

EViews Glenn
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Glenn » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:33 am

The suggestion is interesting, but violates a number of rules for series display and my guess is that it would be hard to implement.

Note that the @unmap is only necessary if you are starting with the alpha series and trying to map to numeric using a map. If you are starting with a mapped series, you can simply generate a new one using the standard series assignment and go from there. You could then do an n-way to obtain the mapping, but that's obviously overkill.

I think the easiest way to do what you want to do is to set a subsample as in

smpl if @map(y)="WA"

and then use the combo in the series display as above.
Last edited by EViews Glenn on Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

startz

Postby startz » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:43 am

I bring in files generated by dataferret that create Stata files that I then read into EViews. The maps are things like fmx11, fmx12, etc. So knowing the map name isn't obvious.

Would it really be hard to have a display option that showed

Washington {91}

or

91 {Washington}

in a cell?

EViews Glenn
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Glenn » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:28 pm

It can be done that way -- I hadn't been thinking of putting the two values in a single cell -- but I suspect that this might be visually confusing and doesn't work in all cases. Suppose, for example, the unmapped cell is "Washington {91}{" and the mapped is "Washington", we would then put "Washington {91}{ {Washington}" in your display cell. This display cell cannot be distinguished from the unmapped "Washington" and the mapped value "91}{ {Washington". Now I know that most people won't do this, but part of what we have to do on this end is think about gotchas. I suspect that for any method of displaying the two parts of the mapped value, we can come up with problem cases.

Still, I can understand why you want this feature so I'll put in on the list of things to consider.

But I will point out that if that's all you want (I thought you only wanted a single map value), why don't you just generate a new series equal to the original, then show the two in a group? Yes you have to create a new series (and possibly delete it), but isn't that better than waiting for the stupid developers to give you what you want? :D :roll:

startz

Postby startz » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:09 pm

EViews Glenn wrote:It can be done that way -- I hadn't been thinking of putting the two values in a single cell -- but I suspect that this might be visually confusing and doesn't work in all cases. Suppose, for example, the unmapped cell is "Washington {91}{" and the mapped is "Washington", we would then put "Washington {91}{ {Washington}" in your display cell. This display cell cannot be distinguished from the unmapped "Washington" and the mapped value "91}{ {Washington". Now I know that most people won't do this, but part of what we have to do on this end is think about gotchas. I suspect that for any method of displaying the two parts of the mapped value, we can come up with problem cases.

... but isn't that better than waiting for the stupid developers to give you what you want? :D :roll:

(a) Would it help any to use some color on cell edges to indicate mapped values or mapped+raw values as a visual clue?
(b) EViews doesn't have any stupid developers. :roll:

EViews Glenn
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Glenn » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:20 pm

Possibly, but you really need to color in-cell to disambiguate the cell contents and that's much harder.

Return to “General Information and Tips and Tricks”