HOT KEYS in Eviews!

For requesting general information about EViews, sharing your own tips and tricks, and information on EViews training or guides.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

farrel

HOT KEYS in Eviews!

Postby farrel » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:26 am

Hello,
to: Eviews Staff and everyone

This is a post regarding HOT KEYS in Eviews already integrated in Eviews 7(8) and future proposals
I updated this post to meet its informativeness to users.

Update_11.04.2013

F1 - brings up HELP
F2 - rename objects
F5 - toggle between command and active window (fast way to get right to command menu)
F6 - cycle through windows
F10 - run a program
CTRL+PageUp/PageDown - toggle between sheets in Eviews
CTRL+F4 (Alternatively also CTRL+W in Eviews 8 ) - close series/group/table inside the Main Window of Eviews with "Save" option offer if changes are made and without "Save" option if Series/Group/Table were shown only. As well as close workfile with "Save" option. This shortcut might be useful as many object windows might appear open in one Main Window.

Programming
TAB - Increase indent. Select a line or block of lines and press TAB.
SHIFT+TAB - Decrease indent. Select a line or block of lines and press SHIFT+TAB.

Some standard Windows/Excel/Word/Eviews hot keys:
CTRL+A - Select all objects in workfile
CTRL+N - Create workfile
CTRL+O - Open workfile
CTRL+P - Print
CTRL+S - Save

ALT+F - File menu
ALT+E - Edit menu
ALT+O - Object menu
etc.

Eviews 8 (forthcoming)
F12 - the Estimate dialog for equations, the Solve dialog for Models, the Graph Options dialog for Graphs
ALT+P - display Proc menu
ALT+T - display Options menu

Suggestions:
CTRL+"+" / CTRL+"-" - toggle amongt dif/ log / %change / year %chg / and so on options. Let say having series/group open we could easily toggle amongt those modes. Or as alternative to leave most common used modes (%change / year %chg ) only with proposed key shortcut.

Andrei
Last edited by farrel on Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:16 am, edited 13 times in total.

startz
Non-normality and collinearity are NOT problems!

Re: HOT KEYS in Eviews?

Postby startz » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:43 am

farrel wrote:Hello,
to: Eviews Staff

I wanna ask you about hot keys in Eviews? Are there any hot keys to work with workfiles and/or programming? (in a sense to use keyboard intensively)
Let say, occasionally I found that to "Run" a program - hot key is "F10"!
I dont know what to others, but F10 is easer for me "Run" programs rather than click "Run" with mouse ...

F1 brings up help
F2 rename
F5 toggle between command and active window
F6 cycle through windows
F10 break execution

farrel

Postby farrel » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:36 am

Hmm, not so many as I expect ...
Could you tell me please, Is it possible to (re)program HOT KEY on my own? (e.g.: to use NOT "F10", but to reprogram as "CTRL+R")

Andrej

startz

Postby startz » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:14 am

farrel wrote:Hmm, not so many as I expect ...
Could you tell me please, Is it possible to (re)program HOT KEY on my own? (e.g.: to use NOT "F10", but to reprogram as "CTRL+R")

Andrej

EViews doesn't give you a way to reprogram keys, but there are widely available utilities that do. My personal choice is AutoHotKey, a free, open-source program available at http://www.download.com.

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Postby EViews Gareth » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:00 am

Although it is unlikely that we will add the ability to change hot-keys yourself, we're more than willing to listen to suggestions on other hot-keys you'd like added.
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

startz

Postby startz » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:09 am

QMS Gareth wrote:Although it is unlikely that we will add the ability to change hot-keys yourself, we're more than willing to listen to suggestions on other hot-keys you'd like added.

IMHO, I think the addition of hot keys should be limited (not necessarily to zero). It's better to leave some keys "empty" so that users can add their own definitions using an outside utility without breaking an EVIews standard.

farrel

Postby farrel » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:22 am

QMS Gareth wrote:Although it is unlikely that we will add the ability to change hot-keys yourself, we're more than willing to listen to suggestions on other hot-keys you'd like added.

So, for now, I'd suggest few EXCEL hot keys (as a lot of people are XLS users and these hot keys are common and intensively used).
Let say:
F2 - rename (rename time series - so many times I pressed F2 in Eviews forgeting that it's not XLS);
P.S. You wrote about F2, but I didn't get you, where I can use it?!
CTRL+PageUp/PageDown - toggle between sheets in Eviews (e.g. as data in sheet "quarterly" has "linkto" to "monthly", so I could easely surf both sheets without touching mouse).

I could continue the list if it's reasonable and when idea will appear...

startz

Postby startz » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:32 am

farrel wrote:

So, for now, I'd suggest few EXCEL hot keys (as a lot of people are XLS users and these hot keys are common and intensively used).
Let say:
F2 - rename (rename time series - so many times I pressed F2 in Eviews forgeting that it's not XLS);
CTRL+PageUp/PageDown - toggle between sheets in Eviews (e.g. as data in sheet "quarterly" has "linkto" to "monthly", so I could easely surf both sheets without touching mouse).

F2 already does rename. QMS, ever responsive, put this in in response to a previous user request.

EViews Gareth

Postby EViews Gareth » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:27 am

farrel wrote:

Let say:

F2 was added in an update to EViews 6 - make sure you are running the latest build.

I like the CTRL+PageUp/PageDown hotkey idea, I'll see if I can kick our Interface Monkey into action on it (although at this stage it will be added for EViews 7, not as an update to EViews 6)

farrel

Postby farrel » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:15 am

QMS Gareth wrote:
farrel wrote:

Let say:

F2 was added in an update to EViews 6 - make sure you are running the latest build.

I like the CTRL+PageUp/PageDown hotkey idea, I'll see if I can kick our Interface Monkey into action on it (although at this stage it will be added for EViews 7, not as an update to EViews 6)

To Gareth,
So, how I can understand, further we can discuss some any other hot keys in this topic, right? and I could continue my list as ideas coming up ...

P.S.: From latest update "keyboard shortcuts CTRL-O, CTRL-S CTRL-N, CTRL-P, CTRL-A and F2" ---> NICE!! :D , so easy!

farrel

Postby farrel » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:20 am

New Key shortcut proposals are in the first post.

EViews Gareth

Postby EViews Gareth » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:49 am

CTRL-F4 currently does what you want CTRL-W to do.

farrel

Postby farrel » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:40 am

QMS Gareth wrote:CTRL-F4 currently does what you want CTRL-W to do.

IMHO, CTRL+F4 is NOT effective way this to do. It needs second hand to be used in order to press CTRL+F4 (alternatively I can primitively use the mouse!). In turn, CTRL+W requests left hand only and it's not so easy combination to press it ocassionally!
Anyway, thank you for hint.

EViews Gareth

Postby EViews Gareth » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:18 am

Grow bigger hands!

But I've added CTRL-W for the next version of EViews.

farrel

Postby farrel » Wed May 20, 2009 12:44 am

to QMS:
Using ALT we can use context menu of Eviews' main window.
But how to switch to context menu of series/group/table window using keyboard?

Return to “General Information and Tips and Tricks”