Exporting Entire Database to Excel file

For requesting general information about EViews, sharing your own tips and tricks, and information on EViews training or guides.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

eviews_user12345

Exporting Entire Database to Excel file

Postby eviews_user12345 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:33 pm

Hello,

I have an Eviews database that contains data series in a few different frequencies. I would like to export the entirety of this database into Excel files based on the frequency. For example, 3 output files for Annual, Quarterly, Monthly.

I am thinking the best way to do this would be to have an if/else statement checking the frequency attributes before adding the series to separate groups in preparation for export. However, I am having issues checking the frequency. First and foremost, is this the right approach?

I am unable to use this syntax to find the frequency of a series in a database (not defined or illegal command):
%frequency_string = DATABASE_NAME::SERIES_NAME.@attr("Freq")

However bringing the series into a workfile first also won't work since the frequency attribute of any series added to a workfile will automatically be changed to the frequency of that workfile as well (even if unstructured).

Thank you for taking the time to look into this. It is much appreciated.

PS - I could PROC -> copy the database to Aremos TSD text file and read that way, but this chops off descriptions that are too long and this is undesirable. Is there a similar function that would fully retain the attributes of the series?

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Re: Exporting Entire Database to Excel file

Postby EViews Gareth » Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:22 am

You could use the wquery command to ask the database to return you a list of all series that are annual, fetch them, save them to Excel. Then do the same for quarterly, and so on.
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

eviews_user12345

Re: Exporting Entire Database to Excel file

Postby eviews_user12345 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:41 pm

Thank you Gareth :)

Return to “General Information and Tips and Tricks”