graph: error in custom date specification

For requesting general information about EViews, sharing your own tips and tricks, and information on EViews training or guides.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

amrsherif

graph: error in custom date specification

Postby amrsherif » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:54 am

Hi,

I must have changed the default graphic settings without noticing somehow because i get an error message ('error in custom date specification ') when i try to view a series as a graph (see attached photos).

Also when i use plot in the command line, the chart shows up but without any axis labels. If i apply a template, the chart labels and axis displays as expected. Is there a way to restore graphics defaults (while keeping saved templates) or fix this issue?

Thanks
Attachments
Capture3.PNG
Capture3.PNG (9.72 KiB) Viewed 9356 times
Capture2.PNG
Capture2.PNG (74 KiB) Viewed 9356 times
Capture1.PNG
Capture1.PNG (75.27 KiB) Viewed 9356 times

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Re: graph: error in custom date specification

Postby EViews Gareth » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:58 am

Options->Graphics Defaults
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

amrsherif

Postby amrsherif » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:05 am

Thanks for the reply. I'm aware of this, but which option would fix this? I assume it would be in the Axes & Scaling and Obs/Date axis. But I've tried with no luck

EViews Jason
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Jason » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:40 pm

You need to enter a custom date format in the Obs/Date axis page (the edit box below the Date Format drop down).

A list of valid date formats can be found here http://www.eviews.com/help/helpintro.html#page/content%2Ftablecmd-setformat.html%23ww208918

amrsherif

Postby amrsherif » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:30 am

Thanks Jason. The link you posted refers to tables (maybe they are similar to graphs). Either way, i would prefer not to manually input a custom date format every time i click view as graph. Is there a way to change this as a default setting? It may just be easier to restore graphic default setting if this is available.

Right now, i have to open programs in Eviews 9.5 (instead of 10) to look at charts properly. If indeed the fix can be found in setting->graphics defaults, could you please point me to what i need to change there?

If my issue is not clear, let me know

Thanks

EViews Jason
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Jason » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:32 am

By default, the Date format should be set to Automatic and not Custom.

Are all your graphs experiencing the same problem or is it just this one? If it just this one, it is possible you may have changed it accidentally. In either case, I would change it back to Automatic. EViews will then use the date format specified in Options->graphics defaults. Choose Axes & Scaling->Obs/Date axis and then press the Date Format for Auto Labeling. From here you can choose the preferred/default formats.

Return to “General Information and Tips and Tricks”