Object Icons very Small

For requesting general information about EViews, sharing your own tips and tricks, and information on EViews training or guides.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

diggetybo

Object Icons very Small

Postby diggetybo » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:04 am

I was using a friend's computer and his version of eviews seems to have really small object Icons (compared to mine). I don't have to work on his machine very much, but when I do, it really drives me nuts.

Can anyone tell me what could be causing the icons to be smaller? Is it a resolution issue? Can it be configured from within Eviews? All I found was:

Code: Select all

View > Item Details +/-

Which, of course, only controlled the details.

If it's not configurable within eviews, where should I turn to for assistance?

EViews Steve
EViews Developer

Re: Object Icons very Small

Postby EViews Steve » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:13 am

It's most likely a monitor resolution issue. If the friend's monitor hashigher resolution than yours, this can make everything look smaller, even if you maximize the main EViews window.

You can try playing with the DPI (dots per inch) setting in Windows to make everything larger and easier to read. Just open the Windows start window and type in "DPI" -- you should see the option to Change Display Settings. You can change the dropdown value for "Change the size of text, apps, and other items" in order to 150% or 200% to see if that helps. Make sure you restart EViews after changing this setting to make sure you get the new text sizes.

Steve

diggetybo

Postby diggetybo » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:39 pm

Thanks for your reply; that did make things much better. Tricky thing is it makes eviews UI about normal size (the size I have been used to working at for years on my computer), but it makes the overall UI on that machine look comically big. I will have to tinker some more, and I will share what I find. I'm hoping there is a way to customize which programs launch at higher DPI.

diggetybo

Postby diggetybo » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:00 am

As mentioned earlier, this is more of a resolution issue than a eviews one. However, it's important to be able to see the eviews objects clearly, so I'll include my solution just in case it helps anyone else.

Like Eviews Steve said, one may adjust the overall DPI of the system, but that might result in the rest of OS interface becoming too big. What I did to have only eviews enlarged was right click on eviews, then clicked on properties. Hidden away in the compatibility tab is a setting that allows for configuring DPI. I chose: System DPI. Then I had normal sized OS interface and normal size eviews objects.

Return to “General Information and Tips and Tricks”