Frequency conversion to 12 month annual

For requesting general information about EViews, sharing your own tips and tricks, and information on EViews training or guides.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

mark

Frequency conversion to 12 month annual

Postby mark » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:02 pm

Hi
I'm trying to set up a workfile with an intial structure of monthly data 1971M01 through 2009m08
I want to create a new page where the structure is annual and the 12 month represented is based on a 12 month period Oct through Sept
Can you tell me how to do this given the second page has an annual frequency which does not conform to the traditional calender year
thanks

EViews Chris
EViews Developer

Re: Frequency conversion to 12 month annual

Postby EViews Chris » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:30 pm

It depends a bit on what you are going to do with the two pages.

If this is a once off thing, the easiest thing to do is to simply shift the start dates on the monthly file so that eg. October 1990 is now January 1990 (Proc... Structure/Resize current page, then lie about the start date of the data). Frequency conversion will then line up the dates the way you want.

If you're going to continue working with both of the pages this may be a bit confusing. An alternative is to create a new series in the monthly page containing which 'financial' year each period is in, and then use this as an id series in a more general match merge operation between the pages.

Note that EViews v7 (a beta version of which is now available for download) does provide direct support for annual frequencies starting at a month in the year other than January, so if you can install the beta version it might be the easiest solution.

Riaz

Postby Riaz » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:14 am

EViews 7.1

How to set up quarterly data for financial year which begins from q3 and ends in q2 the following calendar year? So, 2009/10 financial year is 2009q3, 2009q4, 2010q1 and 2010q2.
Then only I can generate financial year annual growth rates. Otherwise I have to transfer to Excel.

Thanks.

EViews Chris
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Chris » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:56 am

Do you mean how do you set up an annual workfile (or page) that uses financial years running from q3 to q2 in the next year?

If so, simply explicitly specify a start date that is *not* in January. For example:

create a 2009q3 2015q2

The start date outside of January indicates that you're requesting a financial year annual frequency. Note that observations in the workfile are now labeled with explicit dates rather than simple years.

If you then copy data from a quarterly page into this page, you'll get the quarters added up according to financial years.

Return to “General Information and Tips and Tricks”