Descriptions

For requesting general information about EViews, sharing your own tips and tricks, and information on EViews training or guides.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

Dominator

Descriptions

Postby Dominator » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:39 am

I am importing data into EViews from an excel file and I would like to import the associated descriptions. Some of the series are new and others were initially created in an EViews program file which did not include the descriptions. The descriptions are importing for all the new series but not for the pre-existing ones. Is there a way to import the descriptions from the excel files for the pre-existing series?

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Re: Descriptions

Postby EViews Gareth » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:27 am

We'll need more information. Providing the Excel file would be best.
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

Dominator

Postby Dominator » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:29 am

The series ygdpmp in the attached workfile was entered manually with no associated description. When it is re-imported via the excel file, the description does not appear for that series but a description does appear for the other series (ygdpmp2007cf) when it is imported via the same excel file. It seems that in the case of descriptions the initial entry supercedes the subsequent ones.

I am using the following command:

import(type=excel) C:\Users\whited\Desktop\test.xls range=Sheet1!a2:ai3 byrow namepos=first colhead=2 @freq a 1981

The workfile and the excel files are attached.

Thanks
Attachments
test.xls
(25 KiB) Downloaded 360 times
test.wf1
(8.68 KiB) Downloaded 311 times

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Postby EViews Gareth » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:24 am

Ah, I see. If the object already exists in the workfile into which you are importing, then the description is not overwritten. If you delete the existing object first, then do the import, it should work fine.
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

Return to “General Information and Tips and Tricks”