Reset workfile

For requesting general information about EViews, sharing your own tips and tricks, and information on EViews training or guides.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

Eviews2351

Reset workfile

Postby Eviews2351 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:21 am

So I'm new to Eviews. Is there any way to quickly reset the workfile so that there is only the original data in? I'm currently finding myself having to select all output of my work manually and then delete it, whenever I want to re-run the program that I'm working on.

Any help will be most appreciated!

startz
Non-normality and collinearity are NOT problems!

Re: Reset workfile

Postby startz » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:59 am

Make a copy of the original workfile. Then have the program begin by loading that copy.

Eviews2351

Postby Eviews2351 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:28 am

Thanks for the reply!

I didn't formulate my question specifically enough. I do have a copy of the original data that I can reload whenever I want to start over.

The problem is, that whenever I'm writing a program, the output produced keeps my from re-running the program. So if I'm editing a line and I want to check if that code is working correctly, I have to manually delete previous graphs, regressions etc. otherwise I get the error message "... already exists", and the program stops.

I find deleting past output elements faster than reloading the data, but I still feel stupid spending precious seconds on it. Is there anyway I can assign a filter (not sure that's the correct name for what I'm looking for) to specific data series, such that when I pick all (ctrl+a) in a workfile and delete the whole thing, those series will survive. I notice that the series "c" and "resid" has this property. Or can I direct output from a program to another page in Eviews, and then delete that page?

Still very much appreciating any help :-)

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Postby EViews Gareth » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:28 am

Just have your program delete every thing at the start. Make sure to use the d(noerr) command for the deletion so that if they don't exist no error is thrown.

However I usually just have the program open up the workfile from disk on the first line - that way I know I am getting a fresh copy each time.
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

Eviews2351

Postby Eviews2351 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:54 am

Alright thanks guys! That initial delete command really does the trick for me :)

Return to “General Information and Tips and Tricks”