Capturing results/series data in Tables...

For requesting general information about EViews, sharing your own tips and tricks, and information on EViews training or guides.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

Redwing153

Capturing results/series data in Tables...

Postby Redwing153 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:57 am

I've had a good look through the forum and note that there are a number of questions which touch on the subject of writing formula results into tables, but many refer to older versions of eviews.
I have some dated series and I'm hoping to be able to capture some of the information in them into a table, as well as formula results, such that I can also (automatically) update the table.
I'm thinking that I have to use some sort of setcell instruction with dates and series references. But before I embark on a long journey of teaching myself to do this can I just check, what is currently the best practice for achieving this?
Am I on the right track with setcell or should I be thinking programs - or perhaps something I haven't thought of?

Thanks
R.

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Re: Capturing results/series data in Tables...

Postby EViews Gareth » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:57 am

Could you provide more details on what you want to do? Hitting the freeze button on a series will create a table containing the series information.
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

Redwing153

Postby Redwing153 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:23 pm

Well, a number of things, but for the moment I essentially want to link a specified row from a dated group into a table such that it will update when the underlying data changes. I realise that tables don't really do this, but I'm wondering what is the best route forward. I know about freeze/copy but essentially I want to automate this. In a sense all of the 'number of things' that I want to achieve in the future will involve creating time series of returns/equation output etc. and capturing a time bound snapshot of it in the form of a table (or output to excel, I don't mind). I know this is a pretty common problem as I can see lots of user alluding to it in questions they ask, but as a new user I isn't clear to me what is the best method to take or how they are achieving it.

So my group has 1 month index returns from four indices. I want to create 3m, 6m and 12m returns series (which is fine, I can do that); but in my table I want to see by row the index reference and by column the 1m,3m,6m and 12m returns for the most recent date (my index series will be linked).

One way I have discovered of achieving this is to copy the row into excel as a link (which essentially samples it), but this has drawbacks, because it copies as an array which makes it difficult to change the row specification.

Thanks for your help Gareth.

EViews Gareth

Postby EViews Gareth » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:27 pm

The only way you'll get automatic updating is by showing everything in a group and/or series. Table will not autoupdate.

Redwing153

Postby Redwing153 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:43 pm

thanks.
Can a cell be a formula referencing a series? I guess you're saying not.
And assuming not, what does everyone else do - freeze copy and paste? do they use programs to do this?

EViews Gareth

Postby EViews Gareth » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:29 pm

Most EViews users don't have workfiles whose data change every second. If your data only change every day/week/month/year, it is relatively simply to re-run the program that generates the table.

Redwing153

Postby Redwing153 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:50 pm

I don't have data which requires per second updating, I just want to have a table which updates when my data updates, which might be per day.
So in answer to my original question, you are suggesting that the best way to capture my output is though a program which generates the table, is that right?
So I can't use formulae attached to the table (and referencing series output) which will update the table when my data updates? (like I can do with a chart or another linked series)

Just to be clear, the format in which eviews presents equation output (and actually I want series output as well) is not a format which is suitable for me, so just rerunning an equation and tabulating the results as per eviews standard would really do it for me I'm afraid.

thanks

Return to “General Information and Tips and Tricks”