Open PRG without running

For requesting general information about EViews, sharing your own tips and tricks, and information on EViews training or guides.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

mboldin

Open PRG without running

Postby mboldin » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:59 pm

I associate my .prgs with Eviews and click on them runs the prg. I just want to open the file in a new workspace -- not run it, as most case i would first need to eduit or update the program. How can I set up the association to do so with a single click ? (besides opening eviews first)

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Re: Open PRG without running

Postby EViews Gareth » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:05 pm

You cannot
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

EViews Steve
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Steve » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:50 am

We might be able to do something about this in the upcoming release of EViews 9. Not making any promises, but conceptually, we're thinking of creating a new global option checkbox (under Windows Behavior) that says "Run programs automatically". This would be checked by default (as per our usual behavior), but you could uncheck it to prevent the program from running. Associated with this, opening a program window from the DOS command line would also use this checkbox to control the behavior, but an override would always make EViews run the program regardless of this setting.

Steve

mboldin

Postby mboldin » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:03 pm

One option is to consider is how another package (I won't name it) lets you right click on the file and select Run using, or Open using ...
In essence there are 2 associations or options that Windows seems to keep straight

EViews Steve
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Steve » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:55 am

Ok, the feature I discussed above has been added to EViews 9 beta in today's patch. viewtopic.php?f=29&t=11641

If we have more time, I'll look into the right-click context menu option...

Steve

Return to “General Information and Tips and Tricks”