Problems with data

For requesting general information about EViews, sharing your own tips and tricks, and information on EViews training or guides.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

Jseb

Problems with data

Postby Jseb » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:08 am

Hey

I'm new to using eviews and have had some problems with my data

i'm using weekly estimation but for some reason my data doesn't show up properly once I import it in eviews. in the date specificaiton I have naturally choosen weekly. But from some reason when I reach the the third step, all my data becomes N/A

Sorry if this has been posted previously

Cheers
Attachments
Spot Price Weekly Average 2006-2012.xlsx
(17.54 KiB) Downloaded 382 times

trubador
Did you use forum search?

Re: Problems with data

Postby trubador » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:53 am

Try using comma as the decimal seperator or change your regional settings for decimal symbol.

EViews Chris
EViews Developer

Re: Problems with data

Postby EViews Chris » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:56 pm

What's going on is that the numbers in the spreadsheet are actually Excel string values eg. "27,71" not Excel numeric values and EViews is converting them into numbers assuming that the period is the decimal point character.

I'm looking into whether we can improve this, but it will always be less ambiguous if numeric data values are represented as numbers within an Excel spreadsheet (since there will be no problems with local formatting).

Note that if you bring the series nok_kg in as character data (the default EViews behaviour) you can then explicitly convert it into numeric data using something like this:

series nok_kg_val=@val(nok_kg,"g..2")

where the two dots in "g..2" tell EViews to treat the comma as a decimal point.

Return to “General Information and Tips and Tricks”