disable repeating code at command line

For requesting general information about EViews, sharing your own tips and tricks, and information on EViews training or guides.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

cbonham

disable repeating code at command line

Postby cbonham » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:06 pm

Using EViews 9.5

Is there any way to turn off the mirroring or repeating of lines of code executed at the command line? I searched the forum and options and can't find one.

Thanks
Carl

EViews Steve
EViews Developer

Re: disable repeating code at command line

Postby EViews Steve » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:11 am

Check the command capture setting by going to the Options menu/General Options/Command capture and make sure the "Send command capture to Command Capture Window Only" is selected.

If this doesn't help, please provide some more details and a screenshot of what you are seeing.

Steve

cbonham

Postby cbonham » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:34 pm

I have set command capture to "Send command capture to Command Capture Window Only".

I typed one line of code and ran it (hit enter/return). Then I typed the second line of code and ran it. (See screen1)
Screen1.png
on first execution
Screen1.png (256.82 KiB) Viewed 40349 times

When I move my cursor to the first line and run it again, the code is repeated as line three. When I move my cursor to line two and hit return, that line of code runs and is then repeated as line 4. (See screen 2)
Screen2.png
running second time, creates duplicate lines of code
Screen2.png (268.17 KiB) Viewed 40349 times

Sorry for the full size images.
Not only is the behavior inconsistent, but after a few minutes of work on programs, the command line is overflowing with duplicate lines of code.

Carl

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Postby EViews Gareth » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:49 am

I'm not sure why you think the behaviour is inconsistent. It is very consistent - every command you issue (whether it is a new command or a re-issuing of an existing command) is shown in the command window.
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

cbonham

Postby cbonham » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:30 am

Gareth,

The reason I say it is inconsistent is because the first time I put my cursor on line 1 of the code in the command line and hit return, that line of code is not duplicated. Same goes for the second line of code. But once I have two lines of code, when I put my cursor at the first line and hit return, that line is duplicated below the first two.

Regardless of whether it is a consistent behavior or not, I would love to make it go away. If there is an option I am missing lmk.

Thanks
Carl

cbonham

Postby cbonham » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:33 am

Shouldn't the Command Capture Option to "Send command capture to Command Capture Window Only" result in no executed commands being sent to the command window? It certainly does not work that way on my install of Eviews 11(latest version). In fact, when I execute commands in the command window with the setting set to command capture window only, the command is repeated in the command window, but does not get sent to the command capture window. If I use a menu to execute a command, then it shows up in the command capture window and the command window. Is there, any setting to stop each executed command in the command window from being sent back to the command window. If not, can that feature please be added. As someone who prefers typing commands to execute programs and other commands, my command window is quickly overwhelmed with tens of duplicate lines of code.

Thanks for any suggestions
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 4.32.14 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 4.32.14 AM.png (109.39 KiB) Viewed 32417 times

EViews Gareth

Postby EViews Gareth » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:12 am

I'm not sure I understand this.

Are you saying that when you type a command in the command window, that command then gets repeated in the command window? So if you type "series X=nrnd" you end up with two lines that say "series X=nrnd" ?

cbonham

Postby cbonham » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:33 am

Gareth,

Yes, that is exactly what I mean. In the attached iamge, I typed the first two lines in the command window and executed them one at a time. The last two lines are the repeated lines Eviews generates.

Aloha
Carl
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 5.36.05 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 5.36.05 AM.png (39.36 KiB) Viewed 32414 times

EViews Gareth

Postby EViews Gareth » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:34 am

What's the build date of your copy of EViews? (Help->About EViews)

cbonham

Postby cbonham » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:40 am

Enterprise Edition - March 16 2020 build

EViews Jason
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Jason » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:48 pm

I think I know what is happening. If you paste more than one line into the command window but do not execute the last line, EViews will always place a copy of the just executed line at the end.

In your example, (if I understand correctly) you pasted 2 lines into the command window but you pressed enter on the first. EViews will placed a copy of line 1 on line 3. EViews always appends to the end, the newly executed command unless it the same as the last.

Did I understand your example correctly?

cbonham

Postby cbonham » Sat May 30, 2020 1:26 pm

Jason, sorry for my slow response.

The lines of code are typed into the command line one at a time and executed (press enter). So type one line of code and execute, then type a second line of code and execute ... each time a new line is added and executed, the command is not repeated. But if i go back to the top of the command window and execute the first line of code again, or any of the lines of code except the last, the code is repeated at the bottom of the list of commands.

It sounds like this is the way EViews is designed, I can't really figure out why you would want to fill the command line with duplicate lines of code, and it seems that it not what is implied by the Command Settings: "Send Command Capture to Command Capture Window Only". Maybe I am miss-interpreting that setting.

Anyway, I for one find it very difficult to work extensively at the command line running programs and using the command line instead of the menus when my command window fills up with duplicated commands, if there is any way to turn this "feature" off, or add a new feature to disable it, that would be amazing.

Aloha
Carl

EViews Gareth

Postby EViews Gareth » Sat May 30, 2020 1:39 pm

I think you're saying that you are re-using commands you have previously issued, and don't like the fact that EViews will then copy that command to the bottom of the command window.

This is by design, and it is so that you can keep track of both what you have done, and the order in which you did them. Without the repetitions, there is no log of which commands you have issued.

cbonham

Postby cbonham » Sat May 30, 2020 8:18 pm

Thanks Gareth, thats what i was afraid of. I managed just fine using AREMOS for almost 20 years without the repetition. Seems to me that sending the commands to the command capture window only would suffice.

So if i may, i am requesting this option for EViews 12.
Thanks again.
Carl

Return to “General Information and Tips and Tricks”