Simulation Issue in ARDL Model with EViews 13

For questions regarding programming in the EViews programming language.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Jason, EViews Moderator, EViews Matt

Bob

Simulation Issue in ARDL Model with EViews 13

Postby Bob » Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:53 pm

Dear Gareth,

I am reaching out to seek assistance with a technical issue I encountered while using EViews for simulations in an ARDL model. After successfully estimating the model and performing an initial simulation without any issues, I am experiencing a problem during a specific second simulation scenario.

Here is a summary of the procedure I followed:

Estimation of an ARDL model with variables mortgage_rate, ger_3m_yield, log(qe), mp_surprises, and france_inflation for the period from July 2009 to 2023.
Conducting baseline simulations (deterministic and stochastic).
Implementation of two simulation scenarios: the first proceeds without issue, but during the execution of the second scenario, EViews displays the following error: "Unable to compute due to missing data in 'MORTGAGE_RATE = @COEF(1) *...'".
It is important to note that this error occurs despite:

The ARDL model successfully passing all statistical and stability tests.
A manual simulation following the second scenario, implemented with an alternate code, working correctly.
Attached, you will find the EViews script I used, including the ARDL model estimation and the two simulation scenarios. I am particularly puzzled as to why the automated simulation fails while the manual simulation succeeds, especially in the absence of data issues or model specification problems.

I would be extremely grateful if you could review this issue and provide any guidance or potential solutions. I am available for any further information or clarification needed.

Thank you in advance for your time and valuable assistance.

Best regards,

Bob
Attachments
bob.wf1
(24.73 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
bob.prg
(2.07 KiB) Downloaded 13 times

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Re: Simulation Issue in ARDL Model with EViews 13

Postby EViews Gareth » Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:00 pm

qe_sc2 needs values for the pre-sample periods (due to lags in the model).
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

Bob

Postby Bob » Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:22 pm

Following your response regarding the need for pre-sample values for qe_sc2 due to lags in the ARDL model, I would like to clarify. My ARDL model (3,0,3,1,2) is estimated from July 2009 to December 2023, and the simulations are for January 2020, suggesting sufficient pre-sample data should be available.

To assist in clarifying and verifying this, I have included the database and program as attachments. Could there be another aspect I might have overlooked that could explain the issue encountered with the second simulation scenario?

Thank you for your assistance.

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Postby EViews Gareth » Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:34 pm

If you open the qe_sc2 series, over which dates does it have data?
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

Bob

Postby Bob » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:35 pm

Thank you, Gareth, you were right, it was necessary to use a 'smpl @all' before creating qe_sc2 and then return to the desired smpl afterwards! I mistakenly thought that the smpl declared before the model creation was okay. Thanks again !!!

Still related to the program, for example, for sc1, I indeed observe the 'deviation' between sc1 and the baseline, but not the 'percentage deviation, is it normal ?

Return to “Programming”