Task Scheduler for multiple prg files

For questions regarding programming in the EViews programming language.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Jason, EViews Moderator, EViews Matt

fi99ggb

Task Scheduler for multiple prg files

Postby fi99ggb » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:35 am

Hello

I have set up a file that runs multiple program files using the include command and runs fine when I run the file manually. When using the windows task scheduler, the program is shown as running (for a long period) without producing any results (e.g. exporting files).

Any ideas why this is happening and potential ways around it?

Thanks
George

EViews Steve
EViews Developer

Re: Task Scheduler for multiple prg files

Postby EViews Steve » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:02 am

I would first try changing the user account being used to run the task to your own to make sure it’s not a security/permissions issue.

Next, I would turn on logmode with a filename and autosave=on so that you can see how far the program is getting and where it might be getting stuck.

Then, while the task is running verify that you can see the EViews executable running in the list of running programs (you’ll probably have to show programs across all users if you didn’t change the scheduled task’s user account).

fi99ggb

Postby fi99ggb » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:49 am

Thanks Steve. I appreciate your quick response (on a Saturday).

I resolved the issue. It was not associated with the insert command. Potentially there is a bug. if the program I call (through the scheduler) and/or the folder where the program is saved starts with a numeric character (e.g. 0.Run, 1. Data folder), the task scheduler does not recognise the file as prg...

I will leave this to you.

Merry Christmas.

George

EViews Steve
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Steve » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:53 am

I think that's more of an issue with Windows instead of EViews. If you try to run any exe or batch file whose name starts with a number, Windows will have trouble with it (I believe).

Return to “Programming”