Downloading and installing an add-in via command

For questions regarding programming in the EViews programming language.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Jason, EViews Moderator, EViews Matt

heer0

Downloading and installing an add-in via command

Postby heer0 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:24 am

Hi guys,

I am using EViews 10 (univ. ed.) and for my dissertation I need to submit a running program so that my supervisors are able to replicate my results at the push of a button.

For my project, I make use of the EViews add-ins "statfact" and "favar". Is there a way I can ensure through my program code that the required add-ins will be downloaded and installed to my supervisors' computers as a first step?

Afaik, the "addin" command necessitates that the add-ins in question are already saved on your computer and just registers them with your Eviews instance.

As always, help will be much appreciated!

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Re: Downloading and installing an add-in via command

Postby EViews Gareth » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:07 am

There isn’t a way to download them through a command, unfortunately.

Could you include the add-in files with your program and use the addin command to register them?
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

heer0

Postby heer0 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:11 pm

EViews Gareth wrote:There isn’t a way to download them through a command, unfortunately.

Could you include the add-in files with your program and use the addin command to register them?

Hi Gareth,

sure thing. That would indeed be a viable workaround. If tiem permits, I would like to ask two quick follow-up questions:

1. Am I right in assuming that the necessary code to prompt add-in registration should be placed before any commands from that very same add-in?

2. And suppose I am storing the add-in files in a folder named "Add-ins" on a USB drive with letter (G:). Would the code for registering the "FAVAR" add-in on a foreign computer be:

Code: Select all

addin(type="global", proc="favar", menu="Factor-Augmented VAR", desc="Performs FAVAR estimation according to Bernanke et al. (2005)", docs="G:\Add-ins\FAVAR Package.pdf", version="2.5") "G:\Add-ins\favar install.prg"
?

Thank you in advance for your reply!

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Postby EViews Gareth » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:21 pm

1. Yes, although, I'm not sure if registering an add-in will then make it usable in the current program - you'd have to test.
2. Yes.
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

heer0

Postby heer0 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:27 am

EViews Gareth wrote:1. Yes, although, I'm not sure if registering an add-in will then make it usable in the current program - you'd have to test.
2. Yes.

Thank you so much for your quick reply, Gareth!

Alfred123

Postby Alfred123 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:27 pm

EViews Gareth wrote:There isn’t a way to download them through a command, unfortunately.

Dear Gareth, I'm writing a program with EViews 10 recently, also want to know whether I can download and install the Add-ins through command.

Since I will share my .prg file to others. To ensure they can replicate the outputs on their computer, I'd like to add some commands in my .prg file to make sure they already installed the Add-ins on their computer.

Hence, I find this thread. However, I am disappointed that the EViews has no such commands.

As a big fan of the EViews. I strongly suggest the team of the EViews to develop such commands to help us managing the Add-ins.

I do believe it will make EViews more friendly to use and more competitive to other similar software.

Return to “Programming”