Bloomberg API

For questions regarding programming in the EViews programming language.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Jason, EViews Moderator, EViews Matt

amrsherif

Bloomberg API

Postby amrsherif » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:46 am

Hi,

Quick question. Does the bloomberg API request (within Eviews) change depending on the sample of my workfile?
For example if i have a workfile that only has 10 days (versus 1000 days let's say) , does the start date in the request change to 10 days or does it request all the historical data, and only give me 10 days in my workfile?

I'm trying to adjust my programs to minimize our Bloomberg usage (i.e. to avoid bombarding their servers) and wanted to know if the workfile structure makes a difference. In other words, i'd like to know whether creating a workfile with a smaller sample will reduce my Bloomberg usage.

I should add that i'm using the fetch command in my program

Thanks

EViews Jason
EViews Developer

Re: Bloomberg API

Postby EViews Jason » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:10 am

EViews will download the entire series and then perform a match merge on the series into your workfile.

This shouldn't hurt their server performance. It's number of fetch calls that would have a greater effect on their servers than what is being fetched.

amrsherif

Postby amrsherif » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:04 pm

Thanks for this. I believe that their policy has changed. For example, it was the case that once you exceed the monthly limit, you can fetch series that you have already fetched diring the month. This is no longer the case.

Also According to their help desk, downloading a time series with 1000 datapoints now has a lot more weight in their ‘limit’ algorithm, than one with 5 or 10 datapoints.

Is there any way to override this in Eviews that you know of?

EViews Jason
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Jason » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:18 pm

There is no way to override it in EViews

Return to “Programming”