Diagonal BEKK model

For technical questions regarding estimation of single equations, systems, VARs, Factor analysis and State Space Models in EViews. General econometric questions and advice should go in the Econometric Discussions forum.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

nifa

Diagonal BEKK model

Postby nifa » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:50 am

Hello Everybody. I am trying to run this model in eviews in order to calculate the dynamic hedging ratio by calculating the conditional covariance and variance. I run it with two different ways:

1) Solve the system of the following equations:
x = c(1) + c(2)*x(-1) + c(3)*y(-1)

y = c(4) + c(5)*y(-1) + c(6)* x(-1)

where x is the spot and y the futures, and the take the matrixes with variances and covariance.

2) Click on Spot and Futures time series -> open as a system -> estimate -> Diagonal BEKK model

Unfortunately the results deviate between 1 and 2 method. Which one is the most accurate and is there any alternative way to run it?

trubador
Did you use forum search?

Re: Diagonal BEKK model

Postby trubador » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:38 am

Multivariate GARCH models are more appropriate in terms of building dynamic hedging strategies. Therefore, the second approach would serve the purpose better.

nifa

Postby nifa » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:01 pm

Both are subjected to the same model. With the first approach i try to constitute the BEKK model by estimating the system which was quoted. So it's more prudent to follow the second method?

trubador
Did you use forum search?

Postby trubador » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:13 am

I do not follow the difference between your specifications. It seems to me that second approach you mention only includes the constant terms.

The system equations you wrote correspond to "mean" part of your model. BEKK handles the ARCH dynamics in the "variance" part of your model, which operates on the stationary residuals. Since you work on price levels not returns, building a VAR(1) model as you did would be the better approach. You can also try modeling the log returns and see if it fits better.

hasseb1

Postby hasseb1 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:59 pm

Unfortunately the results deviate between 70-486 1 and 2 method. Which one is the most accurate and is there any alternative way to run it?

Return to “Estimation”