Regression with dummy

For technical questions regarding estimation of single equations, systems, VARs, Factor analysis and State Space Models in EViews. General econometric questions and advice should go in the Econometric Discussions forum.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

phlmax

Regression with dummy

Postby phlmax » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:15 am

Dear Eviews-Forum-Users,

I am completely new to this program but it got referred to me by a friend to solve problems like mine. My task is to look at abnormal returns around the unlock date of lock-up agreements after an IPO. The dataset I created consists of an Dax index (first column) and than 10 columns of company stock prices. Each company has an observation range of -50 days before the unlock date, day 0 the unlock date and 50 days after the unlock date. The stock prices are placed next to the Dax for every day. (File is attached). I would like to know which commands i need to type into the "white box". Attached is also a file on what the output is kind of supposed to look like...

My task is now to run the following regression:

Ri,t = β1 - Rm,t + γ1(X i,u)

Cummulative Abnormal Return: CAR = u(γ1)

where
Ri,t = Return of firm i at time t
Rm,t = Dax30’s return at time t
β1 = Dax30 Return Coefficient
γ1 = Dummy Variable Coefficient
u = CAR testing period (measured in days = 5)
X i = Firm i dummy for u days surrounding lockup
CAR = Cumulative Abnormal for 5 days surrounding lockup

Step 2 using a z-statistic to test for whether the CAR is significantly different from zero. The z-statistic is equal to the sum of the t-statistics for the dummy variable coefficient for the five days surrounding the lockup date divided by the square root of the total number of regressions.
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2013-07-03 um 14.14.01.png
Bildschirmfoto 2013-07-03 um 14.14.01.png (51.2 KiB) Viewed 5119 times
Dax_Eviews.xlsx
(57.89 KiB) Downloaded 378 times

phlmax

Re: Regression with dummy

Postby phlmax » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:23 am

Okay, i started my eviews learning process a little bit and maybe my so far findings get this "discussion" started a little.

First i added a new dummy row in my excel file. I attached the new excel file, so you can see what i mean.

Now in a first step i can get the index and single dax_x series raw data to returns with:

genr returnindex = dlog(index)
genr returnddax_1 =dlog(dax_1)

now i could continue to to it all in single steps, but i guess there is an option to do it more easy, however if i try it, i only get an error message:

for !i = 1 to 27
series retrunddax_!i = dlog(dax_!i)
next

i also tried it with

for !i = 1 to 27
genr retrunddax_!i = dlog(dax_!i)
next

not working either.

Anyhow, for a single regression now i did:

equation reg_1.ls returndax_1 c -returnindex +dummy

Would you guys say, that this would sufficiently portray:

Ri,t = β1 - Rm,t + γ1(X i,u)