Newey West bartlett Kernel automatic bandwidth

For technical questions regarding estimation of single equations, systems, VARs, Factor analysis and State Space Models in EViews. General econometric questions and advice should go in the Econometric Discussions forum.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

JoaoPereira

Newey West bartlett Kernel automatic bandwidth

Postby JoaoPereira » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:41 am

Hello

I' m working with autocorrelation and experiencing the effect of different bandwidths in the results of a model.With fixed bandwidth I have no problems but when it comes to automatic bandwidth,I get a difference in the result.
Particularly I'm dealing with Newey-West estimator with kernel function Bartlett and automatic bandwidth. According to technical notes (page 780 users guide II) before determining BT(bandwidth) I need to estimate alfa(q),this case p=1 because of Bartlett function.
For alfa(1), I'm estimating AR(1) models (without intercept) for each element of X(t)*e(t) that is the product of original matrix X of independent variables (except for intercept) times the estimated error.
So if I have k parameters(including intercept) I need k-1 AR(1) models.And for each one I pick both the coefficient and standard deviation estimated to plug in the
the formula for the calculation of alfa(1) provided by Eviews (formula D.11 page 180)

If I consider only a parameter rather than the intercept, the result for the bandwidth is ok but if there is more than one independent variable the result no longer matchs.
Note:The expressions for alfa(1) still depends on the weighting vector Ws that is considered to be Ws=1 so it cancels out.
I don´t know if there is any weighting we must consider but the formula seems very clear

To make things clear I attach 2 simple models (with one and two independent variables) only for help purpose.
If somebody can help I'll appreciate

Tks

Joao Pereira
Attachments
Eviews1.xlsx
(66.42 KiB) Downloaded 335 times

JoaoPereira

Re: Newey West bartlett Kernel automatic bandwidth

Postby JoaoPereira » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:29 am

Hi Gareth

Could you give any tip about my issue?

I´d appreciate
Tks

Joao Pereira

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Postby EViews Gareth » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:43 am

I can't really follow what you're doing, but I think you've made a mistake with the sigmas somewhere. Attached is a version that seems to work. I just threw some extra calculations in.
Attachments
Eviews1.xlsx
(67.24 KiB) Downloaded 368 times
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

JoaoPereira

Postby JoaoPereira » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:15 am

Hello Gareth

Thank you very much
My mistake sorry
Joao Pereira

Return to “Estimation”