Modeling the error variance in a state space model

For technical questions regarding estimation of single equations, systems, VARs, Factor analysis and State Space Models in EViews. General econometric questions and advice should go in the Econometric Discussions forum.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

miksterz1

Modeling the error variance in a state space model

Postby miksterz1 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:31 am

Hello,

I have been through the user guide and am able to estimate state space models quite comfortably, but have not been able to figure out how I can posit a dynamic process for the error variance.
For instance, consider the following simple model:

@SIGNAL y = trend + [VAR=EXP(C(1))]
@STATE trend = trend(-1) + [VAR=EXP(C(2))]

What I would like to do is have the error variances from both the signal and state equation follow random walk processes. Would appreciate if anyone could help point me in the right direction.

trubador
Did you use forum search?

Re: Modeling the error variance in a state space model

Postby trubador » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:28 pm

I presume you are referring to disturbances. If so, then all you have to do is specify it as an additional state variable:

Code: Select all

@signal y = sv1*x + res
@state sv1 = sv1(-1) + [var=exp(c(1))]
@state res = res(-1) + [var=exp(c(2))]

You should keep in mind that random walk is an extremely flexible specification and therefore it may not allow you define additional dynamics. For instance, following is an ill-defined specification and you'll probably experience identification problems:

Code: Select all

@signal y = level + res
@state level = level(-1) + [var=exp(c(1))]
@state res = res(-1) + [var=exp(c(2))]

miksterz1

Postby miksterz1 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:44 pm

Ah, I had a feeling the solution was something along those lines. What I am after is an unobserved components model with stochastic volatility such as in Stock and Waton (2006). I see why that example you gave wouldn't work. However, I just realized that the variance of the disturbance actually need to be modeled as ln(variance) = ln(variance(-1)) + error.

trubador
Did you use forum search?

Postby trubador » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:07 pm

Yes, but unfortunately that leads to other difficulties. Please see the following discussion: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6744h However, you can try the recursive approach outlined here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7110&p=25109

Return to “Estimation”