Using Quadratic Trend to estimate trend GDP

For technical questions regarding estimation of single equations, systems, VARs, Factor analysis and State Space Models in EViews. General econometric questions and advice should go in the Econometric Discussions forum.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

Carol P

Postby Carol P » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:07 pm

Hi,
I am using the quadratic trend estimation technique to get trend GDP. My regression equation is:
GDP = β0 + β1Time + β2Time^2
when I run this regression the output from the estimation gives me the coefficient, std error, tstats and prob for each of the regressors.

Since this estimation or output will represent the trend GDP, I will need a time series of this estimation in order to measure the output gap.
Note the output gap is measured as: actual GDP minus trend GDP.

My question is therefore how do I get a time series from the quadratic trend estimation? I need a time series of the trend data which was estimated so I can subtract it from the actual GDP data to get the output gap.
I checked the eviews manual but I did not get a solution so any assistance will be appreciated. Thanks.

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Postby EViews Gareth » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:33 pm

I think you just need to use the fitted values from the equation, which you can do by hitting the forecast button.
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

startz
Non-normality and collinearity are NOT problems!

Re: Using Quadratic Trend to estimate trend GDP

Postby startz » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:40 pm

What Gareth said.

Or inside the sample period

Code: Select all

series outputgap = resid

By the way, this is probably not a good way to model trend GDP.

Carol P

Postby Carol P » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:45 pm

Thanks Gareth. Can I also get this fitted series by going to View/Actual, Fitted, Residuals from the workfile?

Bekah500

Postby Bekah500 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:55 pm

So I know this was posted years ago but Ive just stumbled on it and one thought for anyone else reading this now is that there is the idea that GDP could be difference stationary rather than trend stationary

Return to “Estimation”