Constraining estimation results

For technical questions regarding estimation of single equations, systems, VARs, Factor analysis and State Space Models in EViews. General econometric questions and advice should go in the Econometric Discussions forum.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

jynterpek

Constraining estimation results

Postby jynterpek » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:37 pm

Hi there,

I hope ya'll are doing well. I am formulating a non-linear regression model and I'm getting an error when I try to estimate parameters. I've started using EViews only recently and so maybe I'm missing something basic.

Following is a sample of the model I'm trying to estimate -

y = c(1) + c(2)*log(1+x1) + c(3)*log(1+x2 + c(4)*x3) + [ar = c(5)]

If try to estimate the c(i), I keep getting an error message that says "Log of non positive number" I suspect it is because c(4) turns out to be negative in the estimation process. Is there a way I can constrain a variable to ensure that it remains positive?

If you have any other thoughts on the source of the error message, please let me know.

Thanks,
~D

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Re: Constraining estimation results

Postby EViews Gareth » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:54 pm

Please see the following post:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=48
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

jynterpek

Postby jynterpek » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:12 pm

Thank you for your reply. I had used couple of transformations but it yielded in different errors

Squared transformation of the variable -
y = c(1) + c(2)*log(1+x1) + c(3)*log(1+x2 + c(4)^2*x3) + [ar = c(5)] ---> yields an error "overflow"

Exponential transformation of the variable -
y = c(1) + c(2)*log(1+x1) + c(3)*log(1+x2 + exp(c(4))*x3) + [ar = c(5)] ---> yields an error "singular matrix"

Do you think it is perhaps because the function has too many parameters to estimate?

~D

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Postby EViews Gareth » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:16 pm

Just sounds like your function is so non-linear that EViews is having trouble finding a solution. You could try changing the starting values (i.e. the values in your C vector) to see if it helps.
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

Return to “Estimation”