752 is not a valid index for vector-series-coefficient C

For technical questions regarding estimation of single equations, systems, VARs, Factor analysis and State Space Models in EViews. General econometric questions and advice should go in the Econometric Discussions forum.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

jan

752 is not a valid index for vector-series-coefficient C

Postby jan » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:57 am

Hey,

I am using EViews 6 and I want to run OLS regressions as well as binary analysis. My sample consists of 3000+ observations and I have 789 dummy variables plus ~ 10 other independent variables. Every time I want to open an equation I get the error message "752 is not a valid index for vector-series-coefficient C". Is there a limit on independent variables that can be used or what error am I doing?

I hope this is an easily solvable question, as I am new to Eviews.

Thanks,

Jan

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Re: 752 is not a valid index for vector-series-coefficient C

Postby EViews Gareth » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:20 am

You've hit the maximum size for the C vector.

You can still estimate your equation, but it takes a bit more work. The first thing you should do is make your own coefficient vector that is big enough. To do this type:

Code: Select all

coef(1000) beta

in the EViews command window.

Then, the easiest thing to do is to use a system object to help create an expression for your equation. Create a system object, then click on proc->define system. Then in the box that opens, enter in your dependent variable, and in the "equation specific coefficients" enter in your regressors, including the dummies. Finally change the "coefficient name" box to be your newly created coefficient vector, "beta".

When you hit ok, the system specification will have been filled out with an equation specification. You can select that text and copy it into an equation object's specification.
system1.png
system1.png (60.1 KiB) Viewed 29385 times

system2.png
system2.png (177.26 KiB) Viewed 29385 times

system3.png
system3.png (44.09 KiB) Viewed 29384 times
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

jan

Postby jan » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:39 am

Thanks a lot! That solved my problem.

ghpow1

Postby ghpow1 » Tue May 03, 2011 6:14 am

Further to this, if you have not defined your dummies you can use the @expand(dummy_var_col) in the "equation specific coefficients" field to automatically create your equation. Very useful

Return to “Estimation”