Sspace: does estimation use one-step, filtered or smoothed states from the Kalman filter?

For technical questions regarding estimation of single equations, systems, VARs, Factor analysis and State Space Models in EViews. General econometric questions and advice should go in the Econometric Discussions forum.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

LaPadre

Sspace: does estimation use one-step, filtered or smoothed states from the Kalman filter?

Postby LaPadre » Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:51 pm

Hi,

When estimating a sspace model, does the MLE routine use the one-step, filtered or smoothed states from the Kalman filter to evaluate the likelihood?

I am looking at this in the context of adding individual quarterly dummies into a signal equation.
When I do so, the one-step signal prediction residuals are non-zero, but the smoothed "disturbance" estimates appear to be zero.
This suggests to me that the MLE routine might be using the smoothed states.
I suspect that this is also why the filtered estimates of my states change over the dummied period (since the one-step prediction error is non-zero, the filter will update the state).
I am open to any other thoughts on knocking out information from a signal equation for a particular period.

Cheers,
-Alex

EViews Glenn
EViews Developer

Re: Sspace: does estimation use one-step, filtered or smoothed states from the Kalman filter?

Postby EViews Glenn » Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:07 am

Likelihoods in state space models are all based on the prediction error decomposition, which uses the one-step ahead values as given in

https://www.eviews.com/help/helpintro.h ... round.html

If you want to knock out signal information for a period, just recode the dependent variable to have a missing in that period, and use the recoded value.

LaPadre

Re: Sspace: does estimation use one-step, filtered or smoothed states from the Kalman filter?

Postby LaPadre » Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:24 pm

Many thanks.
I had read that documentation but failed to note that the tilde definitions used in the likelihood were defined above as the one-step predictions.

Also thanks for the suggestion about replacing with missing values - that would not have occurred to me but is very simple!

Return to “Estimation”