SVAR and forecast (model)

For technical questions regarding estimation of single equations, systems, VARs, Factor analysis and State Space Models in EViews. General econometric questions and advice should go in the Econometric Discussions forum.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

fmramos

SVAR and forecast (model)

Postby fmramos » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:09 am

Hi all!

I'm trying to estimate a SVAR like Blanchard&Quah. The impulse-response was ok (not so good, but ok). The problem is that i'm trying to solve by model and estimate something like a filtered unemployment (eg. NAIRU). I made the model, but only with the unrestricted VAR. Is it possible to solve for SVAR? Or I have to use something different like Rats or Matlab?

Tks in advance, Fabio

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Re: SVAR and forecast (model)

Postby EViews Gareth » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:13 am

I believe you cannot make a model from an SVAR, and thus cannot forecast from one :(
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

ecshukri

Postby ecshukri » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:52 pm

Hi!

I'm trying to build an SVAR model for a small open economy, ala Kim and Roubini (2000). So far I have succeeded in imposing the short-run restrictions. Could someone please share his/her codes for the long-run restrictions (Blanchard and Quah or other authors) with me? Suffice a simple one will do and it does not need to follow the preceding paper. I just need it as a counter check with my structure and codes.

Thanks
Shukri
Eviews 7.1, build date April 2010.

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Postby EViews Gareth » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:53 am

I am by no means an SVAR expert, but I think the SVAR dialog should give you an example of a long run restriction (if you scroll down). Something like:

Code: Select all

@LR2(@u1) = 0
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

Return to “Estimation”