Help with EGARCH volatility estimate

For technical questions regarding estimation of single equations, systems, VARs, Factor analysis and State Space Models in EViews. General econometric questions and advice should go in the Econometric Discussions forum.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

alexlondon

Help with EGARCH volatility estimate

Postby alexlondon » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:46 am

Hi All,

I was wondering if someone could help me with the below as my Eviews knowledge is relatively limited.

What I am trying to achieve is to price SPX (S&P 500) options using volatility estimated by the EGARCH model.

I have run the EGARCH (1,1) model on the daily log returns of the index (01/06/2005 - 01/06/2010) and I can see the equation's parameters(α,β,γ).

Now, I need the volatility estimate so I can price an option as of 02/06/2010 i.e. t+1. Also, I want to keep calculating the volatility for the following 2 years on a daily basis by using the returns of the last 5 years. I.e. to calculate the volatility for 02/06/2010 my sample will be 01/06/2005 - 01/06/2010 but to calculate the volatility the following day (03/06) I would like my sample to include the returns of 02/06 (02/06/2005 - 02/06/2010).

Is it possible to have my sample rolling by 1 day every time without the need to calculate the EGARCH equation manually 400 times..? Also, regardless of the answer to the first question, how/where do I see the variance estimate for my sample population in Eviews?

I will really appreciate any help / guidance and apologies in advance if the question has been answered already in this forum. If something isn't clear in my question please let me know.

Thanks,
Alex

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Re: Help with EGARCH volatility estimate

Postby EViews Gareth » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:01 am

There is nothing built in that will do the rolling estimation/forecast, but there are plenty of examples of writing EViews scripts so that you don't have to manually do it:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=878
(just one example).

If you click on the Proc->Make GARCH Variance Series, you can see the in-sample GARCH.
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

alexlondon

Re: Help with EGARCH volatility estimate

Postby alexlondon » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:57 am

Thanks Gareth appreciate the help!

Return to “Estimation”