Regression Model and statistical significance

For technical questions regarding estimation of single equations, systems, VARs, Factor analysis and State Space Models in EViews. General econometric questions and advice should go in the Econometric Discussions forum.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

WinstonWithAY

Regression Model and statistical significance

Postby WinstonWithAY » Fri May 01, 2020 9:05 pm

Hi
I need help with the two questions attached. What do I need to look at to test the significance of coefficients at the 5% level. Also, in regards to the second question, could anyone help me out? I've attached my eViews output for the regression as well.
Any help is much appreciated
Regards
Winston
Attachments
hitecreg.PNG
hitecreg.PNG (17.94 KiB) Viewed 7310 times
q1&2.PNG
q1&2.PNG (67.67 KiB) Viewed 7310 times

startz
Non-normality and collinearity are NOT problems!

Re: Regression Model and statistical significance

Postby startz » Sat May 02, 2020 6:44 am

If you want help with your homework, you're going to have to tell us what you've done so far and where you're stuck.

WinstonWithAY

Postby WinstonWithAY » Sun May 03, 2020 6:28 pm

These are the answers I put for Q1 and Q2

1.As the absolute value of the t-statistic for all the coefficients of the factors is greater than the critical value of 1.960, we reject the null hypothesis are not significantly different than zero at the 5% significance level. We conclude that the estimated coefficients are all statistically significant at the 5% level.

2. The hml factor typically has a positive sign and represents the difference in returns between companies with a high book-to-value ratio and a low book-to-value ratio. The smb factor typically has a positive value as small-cap companies generate higher returns than large-cap companies. The cma factor typically has a negative value as it is the difference between the returns of companies that invest conservatively versus those that invest aggressively.
The hml factor has a coefficient of -0.397031, which means that the portfolio is weighted more towards firms with a low book-to-value ratio.
The smb factor has a coefficient of 0.301440 which means that the portfolio is weighted more towards small-cap stocks.
The cma factor has a coefficient of -0.431019 which means that the portfolio is weighted more towards aggressive and high risk investments.

startz
Non-normality and collinearity are NOT problems!

Postby startz » Sun May 03, 2020 7:35 pm

Seems sensible.

JuanNicolasDamico

Postby JuanNicolasDamico » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:21 am

Hi Winston, check this video tutorial that teaches you the regression outputs https://youtu.be/DwH8lFUrhxs

Good luck!

Return to “Estimation”