Threshold models

For technical questions regarding estimation of single equations, systems, VARs, Factor analysis and State Space Models in EViews. General econometric questions and advice should go in the Econometric Discussions forum.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

Estef M.

Threshold models

Postby Estef M. » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:57 am

Good evening

I would like to ask whether it is possible to derive impulse response functions from a threshold model. Thank you beforehand.

EViews Rebecca
EViews Developer

Re: Threshold models

Postby EViews Rebecca » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:22 pm

EViews does not currently compute impulse response functions for threshold models.

Estef M.

Postby Estef M. » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:19 am

Thank you very much for the information.

csullivanj

Postby csullivanj » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:20 pm

Hey everyone, I had a quick question regarding conducting threshold analysis on categorical variables and would really appreciate any help.

As an overview, below are my data pieces and their respective types:

• Regular dependent variable (continuous data)
• The first independent variable is regular (continuous)
• I have 3 other independent variables, which are all categorical dummy variables.
o First dummy variable is gender, so three options (male, female, other)
o Second is highest education level, so around 4 options (the format in the model is =1, =2 =3 =4 etc)
o Third is family income group, which is 7 options

Now, if I don’t include the three categorical dummy variables, and simply put in the equation specification box “y c x,” then I can specify the threshold variable “x” and simply run a threshold regression.

However, once I start to include the categorical dummy variables using the “y c @EXPAND(variable1, @dropfirst) @EXPAND(variable2, @dropfirst) @EXPAND(variable3, @dropfirst)” in the equation specification, things don’t work.

My equation specification is:

"irv c age @expand(d1, @dropfirst) @expand(d3, @dropfirst) @expand(d4, @dropfirst)." If i then add in "age" in the threshold variable specification, and then If I click “OK” then it brings up an error saying "D3=1 is not in the equation for the list of regressor variables"?

My two questions are:

• Why does this occur? I can run a regular OLS regression using the exact same equation specification, and a break-point test.

• How can I run a threshold regression on the variable AGE (continuous data) while including the 3 categorical variables (no thresholds on these). The above equation works in OLS, just not with threshold?

Thank you!

Return to “Estimation”