Entropy balancing

For technical questions regarding estimation of single equations, systems, VARs, Factor analysis and State Space Models in EViews. General econometric questions and advice should go in the Econometric Discussions forum.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

oksanakim

Entropy balancing

Postby oksanakim » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:07 am

Good day! I wonder whether Eviews 10.5 or later versions would have any options for estimating equations using entropy balancing (weighting) technique? I hear in other packages codes are available for this but cannot find any information regarding Eviews' possibilities. Thank you.

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Re: Entropy balancing

Postby EViews Gareth » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:22 am

No idea what that is. We have the ability to weight the observations in a regression, but I couldn't tell you whether that is enough.
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

oksanakim

Postby oksanakim » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:32 am

Here is the link to entropy balancing paper: https://web.stanford.edu/~jhain/Paper/PA2012.pdf.

Additionally, for example in Stata here is what they offer for entropy balancing: https://www.jstatsoft.org/article/view/v054i07.

From there:
"entropy balancing, is a multivariate reweighting method described in Hainmueller (2012 ) that allows users to reweight a dataset such that the covariate distributions in the reweighted data satisfy a set of specified moment conditions. This can be useful to create balanced samples in observational studies with a binary treatment where the control group data can be reweighted to match the covariate moments in the treatment group".

Could you please elaborate on the weighting observations in a regression? Thank you in advance!

EViews Gareth

Postby EViews Gareth » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:39 am

oksanakim

Postby oksanakim » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:45 am

I see. Thank you, but I am afraid this is not what is needed. Is propensity score matching somehow used in Eviews? Thanks again.

EViews Gareth

Postby EViews Gareth » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:53 am

No.

Return to “Estimation”