Forecasting with an ARDL ECM

For technical questions regarding estimation of single equations, systems, VARs, Factor analysis and State Space Models in EViews. General econometric questions and advice should go in the Econometric Discussions forum.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

DCFerral

Forecasting with an ARDL ECM

Postby DCFerral » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:34 pm

Hi Eviews Support,
This should be a simple one. Is there an in-built way to forecast in ECM form?

For example, I can estimate an ARDL in log-levels. Then I can transform it into ECM form using the 'Error correction form', e.g.:

equation Example_1.ardl log(Cons) log(income)
equation Example_1.ecreg

The latter specification is useful to me, because rather than using the spurious relationship in levels, it is explicitly estimating the correction coefficient in log-differences. It is large and statistically significant; so far so good.

But when I click 'Forecast', I get the same forecast series regardless of whether I selected the log differences ECM or the 'spurious ARDL'. I suspect that the forecast function is using the base specification in log-levels and doesn't recognize that I want it in error correction form.

Could you cast some light on this? Is there an in-built way of making ECM forecasts? Or do I need to write an iterative loop for computing dynamic forecasts of the error correction term?
Thank you

Return to “Estimation”