white test after weighted least squares

For technical questions regarding estimation of single equations, systems, VARs, Factor analysis and State Space Models in EViews. General econometric questions and advice should go in the Econometric Discussions forum.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Moderator

russellrobins

white test after weighted least squares

Postby russellrobins » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:15 am

this question is about how EVIEWS performs the WHITE test for heteroskedasticity AFTER you have estimated the model by weighted least squares

i estimate (1) y = b0+b1*X +b2*Z + e....build a model for heteroskedasticity log(e_hat) = a0+a1*x+a2*Z.....forecast e_hat (call the forecasts e_hatf) then estimate 1 again as y/e_hatf^.5 1/e_hatf^.5 x/e_hatf z/^hatf......then test for heteroskedasticity (using white again)

the white test after the y/e_hatf^.5 regression is NOT the same as the white test if i lets EVIEWS estimate wls (using weights (inverse standard deviation..etc--although the coefficients and standard errors are the same).

i must be missing something. can you point out my eviews error or perhaps give me a cite for a paper that shows what EVIEWS is doing for the white test AFTER estimating wls.

thanks

Russ

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Re: white test after weighted least squares

Postby EViews Gareth » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:03 am

The White test is a residual based test. When you estimate with WLS, EViews uses the unweighted residuals.

When you estimate manually you are forcing use of the weighted residuals.
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

Return to “Estimation”